What was the last thing you did at the end of a day by the sea?

After a lovely day by the sea my brother and I always ended the visit by throwing a final stone into the sea. It gave a kind of closure to the wonderful and rare experience of a day trip to the seaside.

• Upvote 6

Throwing a stone into the sea was also a ritual in our family, but I suppose mine was writing your name in the sand knowing that hours later (when tucked up in bed around midnight) the sea would erase it.

Another game was sticking your hand as far back into the corner of the car rear window, so as to be the last one to leave the seaside town.

Smiffy

• Upvote 3

I like the Hand job Smiffy. (No guffaws please!). I liked to be close top the railway engine (We had no car) so that I could lean out of the window and get the smoke.

• Upvote 2

Most of time we went by train too, the car was an old Morris 10 and only used if we went for a week or more.

I preferred the train to be honest as the car always made me feel queasy.

Like you say the smell of the smoke was terrific (it should be bottled).

My Dad would only allow us to lean out if we wore our swimming goggles.

Not quite the last thing we did when leaving, but another very enjoyable feature was the trip to the "Linga Longa" Fish & Chip shop... think that was further up the coast though?

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

When a young one, the family would always go out for a walk after dinner, along the seafront or see some show or sight and the last thing before we went back to the digs for bed was going into a café and getting....

....a hot mug of Horlicks....

Almost every night, it was a ritual imposed on us. We never had the drink at home...only when we were on holidays.