Looking for info about Herbert Harding.

In connection with family history research, I am trying to find anything I can about Herbert Harding. The relationship is somewhat distant. In 1917, my grandmother's eldest brother, William Thomas Robinson was killed in action during the third battle of Ypres. His widow Mabel (nee Brown) re-married in 1923 and Herbert Harding was her second husband. At that time they lived at 24 Sedgley Avenue, Sneinton Dale. Mabel died in 1947 at the City Hospital, and Herbert in 1953. I am trying to verify (or otherwise) that he died at Victoria Station. I seem to remember my mum and grandma saying that he had accidentally walked off the platform edge in a thick fog. I guess such an incident would have appeared in the evening post. I think his full name may have been Herbert Sumpter Harding, born in Leicester 1887. Any info would be much appreciated.

Checked in the news archives Stephen for you but nothing shows up for any of the names . Mind you the online version only goes up to about 1950 so it may need a visit to the Notts Archives to view later editions . Good luck !

• Upvote 1

On Ancestry.com in Public Family Trees. In Elaine Hardy Family Tree, there is a Herbert S Harding. Born 1887 Liecestershire, died 8th April 1953 age 66 in Nottinghamshire. This could be him? Perhaps the death date may help your research.

Note...The tree holders name is Hardy, but take a look, and see what you think?

• Upvote 1

Interesting - this SEEMS to indicate that Herbert married Amy Elizabeth Rayner in 1916 in Sheffield. They then had 5 children by 1922. It appears that Amy died in mid 1923 (i.e. AFTER Herbert had married Mabel Robinson (nee Brown)). BUT then there were another 3 births registered in Sheffield in Dec 1923 - 1926, in the surname of Harding, with the mother's maiden name Rayner - peculiar (in fact impossible). There does not appear to be another Sheffield-related Harding/Rayner marriage (at least, not recorded on FreeBMD, which of course, does not claim to be complete). I have obviously opened a can of worms here... Peculiarer and peculiarer !

I suppose the crucial thing to know whether the person on Ancestry has the actual marriage cert - they might just have picked on any Herbert S Harding to fit! I would imagine the reason they know the actual date of death is because he left a Will and the National Probate Index gives his date of death - 8/4/53. In the Probate Index his name is given as Herbert Sumpter Harding, of 3 Tennyson Rd, Woodthorpe, Arnold. Died at Theatre Square, Nottm, so not Victoria Station! Probate granted to Arthur William Robinson, miner (a relative of Mabel's?) and Albert Ernest Heath, painter.

Ah - interesting. Ann - thanks for the comments and information. With all of these bits of data I am rather wary, understanding that unless names (and combinations of names) are particularly unusual it's best not to jump to conclusions. Anyway, Arthur William Robinson was certainly Mabel's son of the first marriage (born 5 May 1912 according to a note in my grandmother's bible, and one of the few people from that side of the family that I can actually remember). So he lost his dad when he was 5, and Herbert came on the scene when he was 11.

I haven't a clue who Albert Ernest Heath was though.

Yes, Theatre Square was, in effect, the roundabout on Upper Parliament Street between the top of Market Street and the Theatre Royal opposite.

Searching again in the news archives, I still can't see an article on his death ,however I think he held quite a high office in the Nottingham Co-op.

There are numerous mentions of him being the Education Secretary for the Co-Op in various Post articles and some Labour Party mentions too from the 20s through to 1950.

There is a family notice for the death of Mabel in 1947 and also a letter he wrote to the Post about priority passes on the buses during the war , giving the Tennyson Rd address.

In all cases he is referred to as H.S.HARDING, never by his full christian names .

• Upvote 1

I have the following book in my collection

Nottingham

Co-operative

Society Limited !863 to 1944

on page 54 the following

On may 26th 1921 Mr H.S. Harding was appointed part-time secretary,and some years later was made full-time secretary.

• Upvote 1

Thank you everyone. This is great - not only confirmed that H.S.H. was indeed the Herbert I was looking for, but also opened up the Co-op angle that I never knew about, and knocked the Victoria station story on the head. I can distinctly remember my mum talking about "Uncle Herbert" having a fatal accident there. Maybe I need to look at the other relatives and see if there was someone else who "Uncle Herbert" might have referred to...