0 inflation good or bad

Zero hour contracts ,no pay rises for years have helped with expected ,zero inflation but it does not feel good ,it cant be good for industry surely,insecurity does not encourage spending ,petrol,utilities,are still not at the low level where they should be

Inflation should rise soon as Tescos have put up their fuel prices by 2p in the last week. The rest will surely follow.

Don't knock zero hours contracts. It works for me. I am on one and I just work whatever hours I want to. There is always plenty of work and I still get holiday pay. When I reach retirement age next April, I will probably do something like 15 hours a week just to keep my income at a reasonable level. A lot of our chefs who are past retirement age do this.

• Upvote 1

Not all zero hour contract companies have plenty of work Bilbraborn. My mate worked at Aldi, suppose to be full time 40 hour week, never got more than 20-25 hours per week. How do you pay a morgage & plan for the future & bring up a young family with that ?

Glad it works for you tho !

• Upvote 2

The benefits of zero hour contracts lie mainly with employers. They might be alright for some employees that are comfortably off, flexible and don't need full-time hours. But for most workers, especially with families, the lack of regular hours and income must make managing their finances very difficult. They'll probably only be on minimum pay as well.

• Upvote 2

Just imagine starting your career,relationship mortgage or rent to pay

I dont think zero hours would give you confidence to move forward ,working fewer hours is always a option and has nothing to d o with zero hours,think of children grandchildrens future we have had our career,zero hours benefits no one including gready employers ,cus if

we aint got the money wecant spend it and the economy relies on us earning and spending,anything else long term there will be problems

• Upvote 1

Most agencies in the catering trade are busy. We do a lot of one -off events and hotels at busy times. Some of our chefs have their own businesses which their partners run during quiet times while they are getting some in at the agency. Petty EU regulations have caused grief to people like us. A lot of my mates also employed by the agency do what I do. I have one or two part time jobs which I can take or leave. I was grateful for full time work when the kids were young, but even then I relied on overtime. I enjoy the more free and easy life style. I am back at work next week after 5 weeks sick after my op. Apparently we don't have enough staff to cover all the work so I look like being busy.

It's interesting to note that I am constantly being offered full time jobs but I am happy as I am right now. In fact last year I did a long weekend at the Wingerworth Hotel near Chesterfield and was offered a full time job within half an hour. There are loads of jobs available in catering, especially hotels but people don't want to work hard any more.

If there is so much full time work ,why have zero hour contracts and so many agencies,suggests employers are lazy paying ridiculous hourly rates to agencies perhaps if they paid the proper rate to the people that do the work it might give insentive to keep their job and work harder,there is no doubt that legislation should be introduced to allow employers to sack lazy and dangerous workers,their actions put more pressure on hard working workers who try and cover lazy workers.

• Upvote 1

Zero hours contract are nothing new. I have been self employed for 30 years before that I was sub-contract for 5 years and have never been short of work. I now employ subbies they get work when there is work and they seem happy enough.

Trouble today is to many folks want a 36 hour contract with 40 hours pay and 18 actual bloody work

Why should those of us who work hard and are to a degree successful have to drag along the wasters. Societies biggest problem today is the attitude held by those who think the world owes them a living and if anything goes wrong its always someone else's fault never theirs.

Me 'I'm all right Jack' because I've always got off my backside and got on with it. If I didn't like my employer, job etc I moved on to the next job.

• Upvote 2

Small firms bear the brunt of employment laws. My firm pays really well and they stand by us in disputes. The private sector has to earn the money to keep the public sector in pensions. I have worked in both. When I first worked on the railway it was a nationalised industry. It was a joke. Over staffed and not very busy. We used to get loads of sleep on nights. When privatization came we had to work much harder, but the job was more satisfying, and harder work on nights meant you slept better in the day time.

My son is self-employed. It was five years before he could get a mortgage and he still daren't have sick leave. As for maternity and paternity leave, when he first started he employed a nice lass who had trained with him at college. When her boyfriend made her pregnant, she took maternity leave for most of the duration and he had to carry on paying her until after she had the baby. Then he got his money back. But it nearly bankrupted him. If he needs help now as a barber he just rents his spare chair out.

• Upvote 1

Why assume people dont work,till my illnes I worked has a manager and ran our own shop,getting up 4am leaving for work 6am returning 6pm
then in the shop till 9'30pm that I did 5days a week,weekends in the
Shop 4am to 9.30 pm paid 2 lots of NI,and felt myself lucky to be doing what I wanted,but some people dont have choice for what ever reason,I will never defend laziness,long hours 7 days a week I now realise was stupid,which is why I feel a fair days work for a fair days pay.The world dont owe me a living it does owe me for the vast amounts of money they have taken from my wages,and dont expect scumbag

But a lot of people do have a choice and they choose to live of me!! Instead of getting a job. I work in private rented house's I can tell before I get to the door whether the occupants have a job or not.

Remember they don't live off the state, the state has no money except what the take off the private sector tax payer. I have no problem with helping people who are ill or past retiring age but I hate supporting idle buggers.

I agree with idle sponging buggers,wether employees or employers like

tax dodging buinesses ,when I had the shop late tax returns £100 fine

greedy businesses get knighthoods fiddling politians get expenses

,so dont know one tell me that I am not entitled to claim back what I have paid in since I was 15 ,if idiots want to donate to politicians fine ,dont use my money.

Yes had to work my nuts off to pay the mortgage,if I get really ill,

the government will take my house,nice to know working hard being honest pays ,does sometimes make you wonder whos the idiots,by the way if youve got nowt you can claim every thing,what a system.