We Was Brung Up Proper !!

As teenagers, Firbeck and I cycled miles. Easter 1967 we cycled from Nottingham to the Isle of Wight staying at Oxford and Winchester youth hostels on the way. Heavens we were fit but my mum said I was walking like a gunslinger for a week afterwards. Happy Days.

My own kids had a lot of freedom but they always kept together in numbers.

• Upvote 3
  • 9 months later...

BUMP

On Saturday, I reminded my Granddaughter of the little game we played with the paper stuck to two fingernails on each hand. You know the one "Two little Dickie Birds, sitting on the wall". I played it with my children and her when they were all small. While my daughter could remember it, my granddaughter had forgotten completely. It just made me think what a shame these little games can get lost in time. I hope if my daughter has grand children, she can pass it on.

I saved this link a while ago. I hope you can look and relate to some of the situations. I know that I can. Lots of memories from this list. Enjoy browsing, down memory lane.

http://www.littlethings.com/nostalgia-we-survived/

• Upvote 3

If I wanted money I earned it, running errands, looking after younger children and housework for my mum, in later years I went Potato picking in the School Holidays to help buy grown up clothes, I would be 13 or 14, then it was a Saturday job whilst I was at school, I earned a £1.............I had a bike and went everywhere, nobody thought of checking up on you, the word peadophile did not exist and nobody stole children, nobody wanted them, they had enough of their own, in fact they left them on your doorstep..........

I remember sliding down a grassy bank on a tray.....fishing for tiddlers with a net, down the brook........skipping with a long rope that reached both sides of the street, everybody joined in, whip and top, snobs and doctors and nurses, going to Sunday School in your best clothes................this was all back in the 50's.............All good stuff

• Upvote 5