Sanderson's Meat Pies.

Many will remember them, reading the Pork Pie Breakfast thread Basfordred commented that his dad sold them in his chip shop.

Sandersons went years ago, now most chippy's sell a far superior pie, "Pukka Pie".

I noticed Tesco now sell the very same Pukka Pie & was on offer last week at a £1 a time, bargain ! Usually £1.50 at Tesco, expect to pay a lot more at some chippy's.

Here is the old Sanderson factory in Greasley St Bulwell.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.999814,-1.202629,3a,75y,191.9h,88.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0uW8wrPnSlagO2XQbCz54w!2e0?hl=en

• Upvote 1

Went to a wedding reception upstairs at 'Sandersons' chippy in main st, Bulwell in the 60s,............right posh do. lol.

we'd been there at least an hour before the fighting started.

• Upvote 2

Their pies were very err plain.

I went in that chip shop the other week & remember there was a bus stop right outside the door.

The times I sat there waiting cos it was a timing point.

Looking at that part of the town center you would not imagine buses ran along there in the past.

Arkwright shop faggots in gravy served in a pyrex dish with clean t towel cover,mum waiting with potatoes and veg superb.

Scruffy and tatty but that sandersons shop front looks beuatiful to me in a strange way,it represents a bustling community that has sadly died along with alot of the staff and customers,god bless em

The company that produced the pies was L.A.Sanderson Ltd.

I don't know if there was a connection to Tom Sanderson, who sold principally tripe and cowheels, as can be seen on the window signage. I can remember the large tripes hanging in that window as a kid. Ugh, horrible. I seem to remember there was also a Tom Sanderson on Hockley.

#4 stood outside what used to be 'Sandersons' chippy' in Bulwell this morning,its still a 'eat in' chippy,and it looks identical to 'cliff tons' photo.on Arkwright st.

I can remember the Sanderson pies but to me the Pukka pies seem much more familiar. Weren't they very common by the seventies? Many chippies had the Pukka Pie Chip Shop sign outside, as they do today. I was never a pie-man though. Fish, chips and mushy peas, always!

• Upvote 1