Sad dedication in second hand book.

I bought a book last summer from the Church in Corfe Castle Dorset. There were a few second hand books on a table with an honesty box so I picked one out called Fusing of the Ploughshare by Henry R Richie. It has turned out to be an excellent book signed by the author recounting his experiences as a gunner in ww2 having started life as an East Anglian farm worker. Wonderfully written and heartbreaking at times with his friends killed before his eyes. Anyway what has caught my eye is the dedication on the fly sheet.

At the top is 'To Peter from Barbara xx Christmas 1989'

At the bottom in a different hand the following is written.

'My poor dear Barbara died at 7pm on the 17th December 1989. she had been much more ill than I suspected. To have opened opened this present without her here, hurt then and will do so for ever.

I miss her so very much'

Fair brings a tear to your eye and perhaps reminds us to not take our loved ones for granted.

• Upvote 14

Very true Robbie,.....theres something very touching about a hand written note from a departed loved one.,i have several of them,and it pulls my heart strings whenever i summon the courage to read them.

• Upvote 2