• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might be this. Deering map from the 1750s, including Back Lane (and Back Side, Parliament Street). And if you go back to DAVIDW's post #7 about Mr Lavender, you can see some of the features mentioned

Ha ha think its "truss maker" . I look forward to your support !

An article mentioning how Needle Place used to be, when the Gaumont area was fields ! This from 1862 about an interesting character called Dr Lavender.

I'm confused now. Wasn't the NCP car park where the 'Electric Power Station' was, on the corner?

The car park where the "power station" was, has probably transmuted into this one. https://goo.gl/maps/Olvt7

But there was also an underground / enclosed car park (I think, no trace remains) where the "bakery" was.

Thats right TBI everything in that powerstation was bottle green . But always seemed deserted, was'nt there a similar one behind "hunto"bus station? As i said i remember skills booking office on the next corner

Yes, they were Robbie. Skills originally had a small bus station in the sixties, as well as it's booking office. Opposite was the Electricity Station, I thought was demolished in the early seventies but have since realised it was much later, to make way for the current car park.

Needle Place.

Is not listed in Blackner's "History of Nottingham" published in 1815.

But is listed in Whites directory of 1832.

Wollaton Street was then known as Back Lane.

Might be this. Deering map from the 1750s, including Back Lane (and Back Side, Parliament Street). And if you go back to DAVIDW's post #7 about Mr Lavender, you can see some of the features mentioned.

back.jpg

• Upvote 2

Needle Place was probably a closed court yard of back to backs when first built (Nottingham had over 300 at one time) but I suspect the houses were knocked down to make room for Whitehalls factory.

Maps of 1850(ish) & 1900 would be interesting.

The Factory had many occupunts

J. Burton& Son Fruit preservers

Scott & Roebuck Hosiery Machine builders

Lace Decoration co Ltd

Alf Bland Hosiery

William Harrison Hosiery Trimmer

plus others