Ay up from Canada

Welcome to Nottstalgia elle.You did a good job with the photo. We hung around with a few Daybrook lads in the early 60s, but I have studied the pic and don't recognise anyone on it. Long time ago! Have fun and thank you for sharing your photo. :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia elle73. I grew up in Arnold, so not far from you. You may have known 'Compo', he was a Daybrook lad.

Some of my husband's family are in Ontario, they've been mainly around Kingston and Napanee for 40 years.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Lizzie - and thanks for the welcome - Compo isn't a name that I recall - I remember a Coppo - (Copley). I lived across from St Paul's.We were the only single dwelling house on Salop Street right beside Bronno's wood yard and we had a big back garden with chickens and fruit trees, my dad had pigeons. I used to go to Arnold a fair bit, my sister lived at the top of surgey's, and my granddad still lived there- but Arnold girls used to beat me up because I wore a school uniform once I went to Brincliffe.

thanks, Carni - I am sure most of those folk have changed since that pic was taken. I'll have to dig out the original that has most of the names on the back. Some days my memory can bring them all to mind, others hardly any - Jeffrey Easom comes to mind. I'll rest my brain and come up with more.

# 33 Elle73. I don't think Compo would have been his name at school. I know his real name but better not publish it here! If you send him a Private Message by clicking on the little envelope at top of page and send to 'Compo' he'll pick it up soon.

Hi, elle73. Ottawa area is nice. We started out in Toronto for 4 years then moved West to Calgary and then Edmonton. After my first wife died I met a lady from Georgia. (Long story). Its O-K down here but my heart is still in Canada.

• Upvote 1

Hi elle, you mentioned Copley. We had a friend in 1962ish with the Surname Copley. He lived in Arnold, first name Joe. He had two brothers,but I don't think they all lived together, perhaps Gedling and Netherfield. one was Billy,he was the partner of a friend of mine. both sadly passed away far to young. Could be the same family. We spent a lot of time around Daybrook and Arnold early 60s. Perhaps you remember Joe? He was the oldest of the brothers born about 1944ish.

Hi, Carni

I don't remember too much about that family - they lived one street over from us- the kids were older than I - more peers with my older brother than with me and we had moved to Bestwood by '59. (My brother had gone to Redhill school) Next door (but one?) to us lived the Widdowson's who had the chip shop at the bottom of the street. The Ice cream man was Mann - familiarly known as Mando.

• Upvote 1

No, we don't do politics 'ere. Lol. However you do have a point. I don't even have a vote in the USA, I'm not a citizen and don't plan on becoming one. Just have a green card. It allows you to do just about anything an American can do except vote. I did take out Canadian citizenship though.

• Upvote 1

Hi Elle, my son lived in Ontario for a while, in Red Lake, a gold mining town.

He`s moved to Nova Scotia now but he did like the 'frontier town' atmosphere of Red Lake. His girl friend found it a bit isolated though.

• Upvote 1

I'm with Loppylugs on this. Love isolation, me - where I live it's well over an hour's walk to the nearest shop, but only a three-minute walk to my son's home and he takes me grocery shopping two or three times a month, so I stock up. Big change from living in the city for so many years (both Ottawa and Vancouver) but worth it for the peace and quiet! (maybe it's an age thing...)

• Upvote 2

Even here in Ga. We are about ten minutes from the nearest village and half an hour from the nearest small town. It is so nice to go into the garden at night and listen to the silence except for Crickets etc. then the Whippoorwills start in the spring, but that is not an unpleasant sound. Now a Woodpecker working on your house is a different story. :))

• Upvote 2

And I think I'd be better able to handle those temperatures, Loppy!! You remember what our winters are like here in Eastern Ontario? ! I sure miss my milder Vancouver winters, where taking a two-hour drive up to Whistler to see snow was a delight. It's going to be a while before our snow has gone here, but it all balances out.20160217_070405_zpsvc2tikz3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Supposed to be 70f here tomorrow. We don't have -40 like Alberta, but wait 'til it gets to 95f and dripping humidity in July / August. Then you really wish you were back in Canada. It can get down to 0f here but that is very rare.

One of the fuuniest things I saw was the expression on my new wifes face one morning when she couldn't get out the back door to let the dog out. Where her car had been the night before was a big mound of snow, you couldn't even see the wheels. It was priceless 'til I ended up shovelling it.

BTW that was in Alberta not Ga. :-)). We lived in Edmonton for the first six months of our marriage. She persuaded me to go South.

• Upvote 1