Football Mavericks on ITV4

If you like to look back to football in the sixties and seventies then you will enjoy the documentary I have just watched on ITV4.

It looks at that breed of footballer whose skill on the pitch comes with a generous amount of problematical baggage off the field. Players featured include Peter Osgood, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Charlie George, Tony Currie, and Frank Worthington.

Includes archive footage and interviews as well as contributions from Harry Redknapp and Glenn Hoddle. There is also a good smattering of Brian Clough film footage.

It is available on ITV player and repeated on Thursday on ITV4 at 10.30pm. Two more in the series after this one.

• Upvote 3

I've recorded it to watch at my leisure, Coffers77. They were all great players in their time but it's amazing how they managed to be so skilful. They'd play on an atrocious pitch that had mud up to their ankles. Some of the bone crushing tackles were something to remember... :Shock:

• Upvote 2

Most of those were my all time favs, especially Rodney Marsh. I've recorded it for a treat later.

I'll watch it this morning, as madam will be out and I can have some FLY time. LOL

What made them great players was the fact that they new the likes of 'Chopper Harris' 'Norman Hunter' 'Dave Mackay' 'Nobby Stiles' and 'Jackie Charlton' were likely to give em a good 'Crunching' at any time,todays football is a different game,diving,biting,spitting,moaning, as well as playing in carpet slippers with a Frido' ball on a pitch like a Billiard table,........as corporal Jones would say.........'They don't like it up em'

Finally i'd just like to say all the best to Jimmy Greaves in his fight for life after a bad stroke.

• Upvote 3

Don't forget Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd and Dave Needham, they could see off a few.

• Upvote 2

Cruyff, Marsh and Worthington. My favs.

They certainly could 'Fly2' and going back a bit further so could Jack Burkit,Bill whare and Sammy Chapman,

Sammy threatened me once in the 99 club,..........still loved him. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I've had the odd fracas, but nothing serious. All good schoolboy pranks !

I'm probably more argumentative and belligerent now !!!

Ive been a 'Tit Head' in my time,............regrets?.....just one............that i can't do it all again, :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Just watched it. I'd seen most of the footage before. Enjoyable except for the shot of that fat, greasy, cheating, lying, cheating, fat, lying, over rated, fat, cheating, greasy, smarmy git at the end !!!!

• Upvote 1

Take it you not keen on him Fly',....c'mon who was it ? ive not seen it'

maradonna, I won't even give him the honour of using a capital letter for his name.

• Upvote 1

I suppose next weeks episode will feature gazza....... Whoopty doo !!!!!

Another fat, cheating barsteward.

There is a lot of undesirable behaviour in the game today but I do think there was a lot more brute force violence in the old days - a lot of which was down to a lack of cameras and the way the games were refereed (tackles from behind and two footed challenges off the ground were legal then).

It wasn't always defenders - who put it about. Heard Bobby Gould (Arsenal and several other clubs) describe how Peter Osgood deliberately broke his leg in a tackle. Having said that Gould also mentioned that Jack Charlton punched his front teeth out at a corner and he has falsies now.

Worst tackle I ever saw live was Kenny Burns go over the top on Ricky Villa at White Hart Lane. Burns came in from miles away horizontal and at pace - studs up. It could have snapped his fibia and tibia in two but fortunately it sent him up in the air and he got away with a bad gash on his shin.

If you want to see evidence of what was allowed then - look on you tube at the 1970 Cup Final between Leeds and Chelsea. I recall Eddie McReadie kicks Bremner in the head standing up!! Chopper Harris probably won the replay by putting Eddie Gray out the game but it is x rated stuff all round.

Yes, and we all loved it.

We certainly did Fly2 - do you remember the fight between Norman Hunter and Franny Lee at the Baseball Ground? in fact they had one fight, both were sent off and it sparked off again.

I think it was a sneaky punch from Hunter that started it. No handbags there especially what was being dished out by Lee. In fact here it is:

• Upvote 1

The one time where good, tough, fair, hard defending really impressed me was when Forest won the European Cup (the proper one) for the second time against the favourites, Hamburg. We were on the backfoot since scoring early in the game.

As it progressed, our defence dug their heels in and eventually Hamburg were pushed further into their own half.

Pretty, no, but our name is on the cup for ever.

I loved Franny Lee. I'm like him, I can take so much, but once I've lost it, that's it. I will NEVER EVER give in.