This one passed me by, someone just told me, he died last Sunday just before his 93rd birthday.

Sad loss to us old trainspotters and a passing totally ignored by the media, which has really surprised me. For more information and details of his life go to www.daily telegraph.co.uk-news-obituaries.

Thanks for the news about that - I hadn't seen anything about it.

The 1950s were the great days of the trainspotters movement, I suppose I just got in on the end of it, joining the Locospotters Club in 1961 when its organised activities had begun to tail off. I've still got my badge somewhere.

He was a good businessman, not afraid to follow the popular trends in railway book publishing, nor to change tack or diversify into other areas than transport books.

In the world of Railway books and memories based on train travel, Ian Allan was a giant.

He has left a tremendous archive and a massive following for steam trains and railway history in general.

The obituary in the Daily Telegraph was most interesting.

I knew that he was a prominent Mason and had a shop which sold Masonic regalia in Covent Garden opposite the Grand Lodge.

I didn't know that he'd lost a leg.

Some of the books he published created quite a stir and proved that he was 'in the know' about a lot of transport and defence subjects.

A most interesting man.

R.I.P.

Ian Allan the number one publisher or railway(& other transport)books untill the likes of Wild Swan came along.

A sad loss to all railway fans.......RIP

A big thank you for changing my life.

Life would never have been the same without those ubiquitous ABCs. Thanks Pete for letting us know.