Unusual lunches and dinners

We are here in Brittany for a few weeks and attend various local festivities. Today we had lunch at a nearby village 'do'. The tiny hamlet really know how to put a show on with live music, classic cars, bikes, etc on display and a hog roast comprising six fire pits!

Anyway - today's lunch. Free rose wine to start. Being free and not driving I had 4. Paid our fee of 12 euro and collected our tray bearing roast pork and chips, salad with nice dressing, half melon filled with port, an amazing cream wafer sweet, cheese and bread. Wine an extra 5 euro a bottle.

We sat down in a marquee but the bench seat sloped down hill at about 8 degrees. It was difficult to sit without sliding downhill, so I set my food out in a line in the order to be eaten. A I slid down the seat I faced the next course. So when the meal was finished I was at the end of the bench. I fell off as coffee was served!

• Upvote 11

Mid afternoon... Avez vous un cuppa!!!!!!

We had an unusually prepared dinner on Saturday. Lets call it 'the washing machine trout'.

Ingredients - 1 x 4lb trout. Olive oil.

Method -

A week before catching the trout dismantle a kaput washing machine and carefully remove the tub.

Fabricate a stand so the the tub can be mounted, opening up, with clearance for the spindle.

Go fishing and catch a trout.

Fillet the trout and salt the fillets for 60 min or a bit longer. I salt using a dampened tea towel under and over the fillets.

Wash off salt and dry with kitchen roll.

Gather dry sticks and light a fire in the tub. Add bigger sticks and let fire die down to hot embers. This is done while the fish is salting.

Set a 30/35 cm Paella pan on top of the washing tub opening.

Add olive oil to the Paella pan and when sizzling add the fish fillets.

Turn fillets frequently and keep them moving. They will be nicely done and slightly browned in 5 or 6 minutes.

Well, that was my bit. Mrs PP did the rest because I cannot be trusted in a kitchen.

ps - the washing machine tub has a recessed rim that could be used for frying sausages. Must try that.

• Upvote 1