The age of chivalry is not yet dead

Went for a cycle ride around what I call the wilderness circuit yesterday. It is 17 miles around and at its farthest point is no less than 16 miles from the nearest village and shop. All went well until I got almost exactly half way around the circuit and then my left-hand crank arm came loose. This meant that I could not pedal.

I was equipped with a tool set good enough for most events but not a major one like this that required a 14mm socket or box spanner to fix. I had to bang the crank back on with a rock and tighten the nut by fingertip. This lasted me for a couple of hundred yards or so but came loose once again. I repeated the process several times before three posh 4x4s pulled up and offered to help.

Turned out to be Lord Thurso (Grandson of Sir Archibald Sinclair, wartime air minister) and two of his shooting/fishing companions, complete with gamekeeper. They all took out there tool kits and attempted to get me going again but alas, to no avail for no-one had the right size of socket. They were moving fishing beats on the river at the time and so I bade them thank you and farewell as I continued on my way back to the car, stopping every few hundred yards to put the crank back on its shaft. I eventually made it back ok but I am thankful to the lord and his pals for their offer of help.

Lord Thurso (John Thurso MP LibDem) was my member of parliament for many years but he was beaten by the SNbloodyP this time around. We now have an absentee MP who lives south and rarely visits our part of his constituency, instead of a local man who tries to help his constituents with their problems; beit cycle breakdowns or constituency matters.

Point of cycle failure: more photos at: https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/Altnabreac12September2015?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMfr-5Lc9eeppAE&feat=directlink

IMG_4014.JPG

• Upvote 6

I have found people in Scotland to be very helpful. Back in 1967 my dad was driving his Morris 1100 along a passing place road in northern Scotland and he pulled over onto the verge to let a car pass as there was no passing place close. The car sank! We all got out. A few minutes later a minibus full of climbers came along. They got out and said "what we need is some lifters" and they picked up our car and lifted it out of the ditch. I have still have the photo. We were so pleased and thanked them very much. Great guys!

• Upvote 1

Generally speaking I've always found the old established landed gentry to be down to earth with no pretensions. It's the newly rich who seem stuck up more often. Some years ago I used to spend a fair amount of time with Alexander Lord Hesketh and others in the Towcester area. I remember one old boy, a 70 year old army vet. He told me stories about how he used to pass beer or wine round behind a settee when he was at Easton Neston parties for the then young Alex to drink. He said that quite often still, Lord Hesketh would turn up in the evening to his council flat with a bottle of whisky for a natter.

• Upvote 1