Brincliffe Grammar School for Girls

# 4. Eileen, I'm surprised you didn't go to Carlton-leWillows with you living in Calvo. You or your parents must have wanted a same-sex school? I knew a lot of kids from Calverton, Oxton, Woodborough, Epperstone while there.

My sister Barbara Housley from Hucknall was at Carlton Le Willows, she was born in February 1951, so she would have been there in 1962/68, she was very clever.......

#26 - Gosh!

I thought this was my 5th form picture for a second - I was in the fifth in 1960, though.

Didn`t we all look so jolly in those days?

Lovely to see dear Miss Smedley - an inspirational teacher.

Thank you for posting this.

• Upvote 1

Oh Margie - do I have to tell you? LOL Middle row far left!! Our hair was teased (backcombed) so high we had to re-sew our beret badges in order for them to be seen (and the berets were held on with two bobby pins - oops, sorry, hair grips). In order to have a skinny jim tie, we would have so much tucked in you could almost see it below the hem of your skirt (which likely was rolled over two or three times at the waist even though the mini was still a dream).

• Upvote 5

Elle, I didn't have a problem with back combed hair and berets, but when I was nursing I had to do the same thing with my nurse's cap. It was perched precariously on top of my beehive and fixed with (white) grips!

• Upvote 1

# 28. Blondie, I don't remember your sister's name, although she was in the year below me anyway. What colour blazer did she wear? If it was brown then she most likely went to Carlton-le-Willows Technical Grammar. We probably got to school on the same red Trent bus though.

• 3 months later...