Good article about this station at the Disused Stations site:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bulwell_common/index.shtml

He does a great job on researching the closure of railway stations.

There are quite a few sections on stations from the Notts area there - including the Nottingham Suburban Railway.

• Upvote 5

Very interesting. I spent half my childhood on those sandstone embankments.

Col

Great info. As I currently live very close to that area, I pass the old Station Masters house on St Albans Rd frequently.

I cringe at what we could have today if all this was still present, and had been better utilised.

As usual due to old rivalries, petty jealousies and a complete lack of forward thinking, the BEST railway ever constructed in this country was desecrated after barely sixty years of existence.

Forget Brunel and the GWR. This was instigated by Sir Edward Watkin, the most enlightened and positive railway engineer ever.

• Upvote 5

Quite so MI, sorry for my gross misdemeanour. LOL He was the brains behind it though.

Sir Edward Watkin was a visionary and a 'mover and shaker' who exerted a major influence on rail travel in the Victorian age.

Whilst he may not have been an 'engineer' per se, he was a railway man through-and-through as evidenced by his achievements (the Metropolitan Railway, the Great Central, first attempt at the Channel Tunnel etc etc).

So he definitely knew about 'railway engineering'.

The dismantling of our railways and the Great Central in particular was incredibly short sighted and done with indecent haste.

It's true that there was a lot of 'duplication' of routes - indeed Bulwell had 3 stations at one time.

But the wholesale stripping of lines and the lack of vision with regard to future congestion and the value of infrastructure will go down in history as a major mistake.

• Upvote 2

Along with the Channel Tunnel Watkin was also behind the building of another great might-have-been - the Wembley Tower. It would have rivalled the Eiffel Tower, but construction never got past the first level and it was later demolished. The site was where Wembley Stadium now stands,

• Upvote 2