Do we have any hams among the membership?? I'm KM6MB been a ham for a number of years now.

I've got a CB wireless...

Go wash your mouth out with carbolic soap now Mick :angry:

Ayupmeducks Posted: May 3 2006, 01:51 PM 

Do we have any hams among the membership?? I'm KM6MB been a ham for a number of years now. 

:tease: Is that smoked or unsmoked Ham because i like my Ham Unsmoked. !rotfl!

I have a ITT KB tiny 33 :Vampire: would that be any good or wouldn't it be stronge enough to listen in. :crazy: it has VHF, LW and MW...only the best you know and takes 4 double A batteries.........Wilkos are the best...

Well I would have been a Ham, always interested in radio, even as a kid.

But for the rediculus RSGB or was it SGB? exams requiring morse code.

Why was that ever an issue to get a licence.

I was more a listener in my radio years, still got the equipment too.

Icom ICR7000

icr7000.jpg

Rigpix - Icom IC-R7000

Yaesu frg8800

frg8800.jpg

Rigpix - Yaesu frg8800

Icom ICR 100

icr100.jpg

Rigpix - Icom ICR100

Oh yes and fer the Morse code I got...

post-25-1146718171_thumb.jpg

Well I would have been a Ham, always interested in radio, even as a kid.

But for the rediculus RSGB or was it SGB? exams requiring morse code.

Why was that ever an issue to get a licence.

I was more a listener in my radio years, still got the equipment too.

Icom ICR7000

icr7000.jpg

Rigpix - Icom IC-R7000

Yaesu frg8800

frg8800.jpg

Rigpix - Yaesu frg8800

Icom ICR 100

icr100.jpg

Rigpix - Icom ICR100

Oh yes and fer the Morse code I got...

Well, you've no excuse now Mick, there's no Morse requirement in the UK top license any more! Multi choice questions, more like giving the tickects away now in cornflakes boxes!

Morse, or as we call it CW, wasn't that difficult if you stick with it. I spent weeks getting the speed up, thats the hard part. I got mine up to pass the 13 wpm for my Advanced class, and stopped, should have kept it up to get the 20wpm and the top ticket Extra class over here, but was too interested in using my radio! No probs, Extra now is only 5 wpm when I want to get back into it.

I run the Yaesu FT 1000MP hf radio and the Yaesu FT736R VHF/UHF radio for 2 metres and 70cm and have the 6 metre module in it.

The Icom receiver you show is a nice set! Always wanted a receiver that covered DC to daylight.

Now frigging get on the RSGB's site and see how easy it is to get licensed now!

:tease: Is that smoked or unsmoked Ham because i like my Ham Unsmoked. !rotfl!

I prefer mine with Pineapple !hungry!

Theres always one isn't there? or in mine & Bips case 2!!

!rulez! You always get those show offs Caz try to baffle you with tech terms they think if they talk technical you will give in and go and pester someone else but NO i refuse to be talked down to or even ignored. So here goes this is what i know about the subject-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nowt......i had a walky talky when i was younger, now that's going back some.........two empty bake bean cans with a piece of string joining them both together....if you stood close enough there wasn't any need for the cans. !rotfl!

OK your two it looks that you're on ya own on this one...to me it's just mindless woffle....woffle not in the dictionary........

Yeah i used bean cans too but it was a bit dangerous because the sharp ends cut into me tabs kickme

Never understood about all this CB stuff myself,Fluffy Ducks & all those stupid names they called themselves,I think it was just an excuse to chat up girls,much like the Internet today,difference is instead of sitting in your Robin Reliant with steamed up windows you can do it in the comfort of your own lounge room !laughing!

Yeah i used bean cans too but it was a bit dangerous because the sharp ends cut into me tabs  kickme

Never understood about all this CB stuff myself,Fluffy Ducks & all those stupid names they called themselves,I think it was just an excuse to chat up girls,much like the Internet today,difference is instead of sitting in your Robin Reliant with steamed up windows you can do it in the comfort of your own lounge room            !laughing!

Caz! we hams take exception about being called CBers! I had to study radio theory, practice and morse code to 13 words per minute to pass a test for my license. I can repair to a degree my equipment. I know a Hartley oscillator from a Clapp oscillator. I can design and build my own antennas and amplifiers, because I have the knowlege to do such things.

Licensed hams world wide put their expensive equipment and themselves at disaster zones. During the Katrina hurricane in this country, the whole communications infrastructure collapsed. A ham went to the National Weather Service HQ near New Orleans with some of his equipment as their land lines and cell phones were gone! He provided a necessary link to the outside world for that agency to receive information from other parts of the ravaged Gulf area.

When the tsunami hit the Indian Ocean states, Sri Lanka's only means of communication with the outside world was via it's ham radio operators on High Frequency ham bands, The Prime Minister of that nation communicated with his counterparts around the world while telephones, cell phones and electricity was out! The same with most of those ravaged nations, ALL relied upon ham radio operators.

CBer's usually don't know a volume control from a VFO! They usually don't know how to make their own antennas. THEY don't have to study radio theory, harmful emmissions etc, and most certainly don't have to get licensed in most parts of the world. Their mandated max output from a transmitter is 12 watts PEP, mine is 1500 watts PEP on many bands, not just channelised 40 channels.

I share 160, 80,40,30,20,17,15 and 10 metre bands with other licensed hams on the short wave spectrum, together with 50 mhz, 144mhz, 440mhz, 220mhz, and several more bands going into the SHF bands.

We operate standard "phone", (voice, on AM, SSB and FM) digital modes and slow and high scan television on our bands.

BTW, we don't talk like CBers on our bands either, we talk like normal human beings ;)

:Vampire: Well Caz that's put you in your place...

!rulez! How could you say such things, disgraceful Caz.... you must learn to be more tolerate of other peoples hobbys..!rotfl!

PS. do you like me think they have gone over the top with their attachments should we as Moderators delete their Photo's you now what the gaffer said Caz, it's costing him a small fortune for bandwidth and he's not made of money you know even thou he's a civil servant with a good pension at the end of the day.... thumbsup

PPS. It's been over 25c today hottest of the year and probably the last one too.

I use orange marmalade on my ham while baking! ;)

Here we go! now Cali is having a dig, look you girls! this is a serious subject and besides i'm the only one who is allowed to take the michael.

If your two can't control your comments to the serious side of this topic you will leave me no option but to reppremand you both and give you a written warning, well an email warning.. so listen up you two keep it to the topic, OK!

Is that alright Ayup and mick. sometimes you have to show your true metal to these girls if you don't they take advantage..... :victory:

PS. I rather like English Mustard on my Ham sandwiches..... :tease:

What you have to know is there has always been friction between the Hams (amatures) and the CB'ers. We pinched a bit of their Ether for a while.

There were Illegal L/USB (Lower/Upper Side band) users who made contact around the world (not me). This Illegality was probably half the fun.

I was in contact with both camps, and all kinds of radio frequencies have been used in disaster zones.

The CBers refered to the hams as the OBN (Old Boy Network). There is (was?) a repeatar on Mapperly top. If you were having trouble getting to sleep, you could tune in to that for a while.

Equally CBers could be morons (Turkeys). I together with others would track them down. :rolleyes: and that was part of the fun. We were the 'CB Police' of the 80's.

AFAIK, there was only one famous 'Ham'

post-25-1146777602_thumb.jpg

There's been many famous hams Mick, King Hussein of Jordon, that American actor who lived in French Polenesia, can't think of his name now, several top tv personalities, Senators, most of the House of Saud in Saudi are hams. Walter Conkrite is one. Donny Osmand!!! He's a ham!! Bloody "No Code Tech" as we call them, several Country and Western singers hold a ticket the bloke who plays Matlock in the TV series is an old ham!! Jeeze I'd have to get the list out of famous hams.

Mick, theres probably several repeaters on 2 metres around Nottingham area!

I used to have a 'digipeater" in California operating on 2 metres for packet operation. It was interesting to see the route a signal followed in the logs! I traced one from overseas, through a ham satellite, across the USA, through Canada and then through me to another distant station.

Packet is like the internet via radio though instead of land lines.

Marlon Brando, F1 something or other was his callsign, he used to operate mostly CW. (morse code)

How about these famous hams?

Mick2me Nottstalgia Administrater

KB1EQ ROY ROGERS

WA2EKU ROBERT DORNAN

KB4INI ROBERT TAYLOR

W4BVX BILL CLINTON

KB5DQM JIMMY CARTER

WA6BGA RAY NOBLE

KN6NT RUDOLPH VALENTINO (SK)

W6FZZ SAMUEL F.B. MORSE

KE6MCM HUGH DOWNS

N7RPG DALE EVANS

W7GFF ELIZABETH TAYLOR

WA7WYV ANDY GRIFFITH

W9EFD LOU COSTELLO

KA9RCO TERESA BREWER

KC8VB HENRY WINKLER

WP4CO JOSE FELICIANO

ROYALTY & DICTATORS

A4XAA QABUS BIB SAID, THE SULTAN OF OMAN

AC3PT THONDUP, THE KING OF SIKKIM AKA P. T. NAMGYAL, (SK)

EA1JC JUAN CARLOS, THE KING OF SPAIN

EP1MP MAHMUD REZA PAHLAVI,SON OF THE LATE SHAH OF IRAN,(SK)

HS1A BHUMIPHOL ADULAYADEJ, THE KING OF THAILAND

I0FCG FRANCESCO COSSIGA ,THE PRESIDENT OF ITALY

JY1 KING HUSSEIN OF JORDON (ALSO "EPIJY") (SK)

JY1NH OUEEN NOOR (WIDOW OF KING HUSSEIN)

JY2HT CROWN PRINCE HASSAN

JY2RZ PRINCE RAAD, COUSIN OF KING HUSSEIN & CHAIRMAN OF THE ROYAL JORDANIAN RADIO SOCIETY

LU1SM DR. CARLOS SAUL MENEM, THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ARGENTINA

OE5AH ARCH DUKE ANTON HAPSBURG, (SK)

VU2RG RAJIV GANDHI, THE PRIME MINISTER OF INDIA,(SK)

VU2SON SONIA GANDHI, THE WIFE OF RAJIV GANDHI

Y15KG KING FAISAL GHAZL, THE KING OF IRAQ, (SK)

YN1AS ANASTATIO SOMOZA, DICTATOR OF NICARAGUA, (SK)

W0ORE Tony England Astronaut

K1JT Joe Taylor Scientist

K1OKI Mickey Schulhof Heads SONY US

KB2GSD Walter Cronkite TV Journalist

K2HEP John Sculley former CEO of Apple Computer

KB2LHI Joe Walsh sk "World's Fastest Shooter"

WA2MKI Larry Ferrari sk Musician/TV personality

K2ORS Jean Shepard sk TV personality

W2TQ Joel Miller Attorney

K2ZCZ George Pataki Governor of New York 1994

W4CGP Chet Atkins Singer/Songwriter

WB4KCG Ronnie Milsap Singer/Songwriter

N4KET David French TV Journalist

K4LIB Arthur Godfrey sk TV personality

KC4OCA Gordon Barnes Meteorologist

N4RH Ralph Haller Former FCC PRB chief

WA4SIR Ron Parise Astronaut

WD4LZC Larnelle Harris Country Music Singer

WD4SKT 14.230 MHz SSTV

KD4WUJ Patty Loveless Country Music Singer

W4ZG Worth Gruelle Author

K4ZVZ Paul W. Tibbets War Hero

W5LFL Owen Garriot Astronaut

N5QWL Jay Apt Astronaut

KC5ZTA Koichi Wakata Astronaut from Japan

WB6ACU Joe Walsh Singer/Songwriter

K6DUE Roy Neal TV personality

K6DXK Ernest P. Lehman Writer, Producer, Actor, Director

W6EZV Gen. Curtis LeMay Military legend

N6FUP Stu Cooks Baseball player

N6GGM Laura Cooks XYL of N6FUP

N6KGB Stewart Granger Actor

KB6LQR Jeana Yeager Pilot/Adventurer

KB6LQS Dick Rutan Pilot/Adventurer

AI6M Barry Friedman 2-time World Champion Juggler

W6OBB Art Bell Radio personality

KB6OLJ Paul J. Cohen Mathematician

KD6OY Garry Shandling TV Personality

W6QUT Freeman Gosden sk Actor

W6QYI Cardinal Roger Mahony Cleric

WB6RER Andy Devine Actor

W6ZH Herbert Hoover, Jr. sk Son of U.S. President

W7DUK Nolan Bushnell Computer Pioneer, Founded Atari

KG7JF Jeff Duntemann Author

K7TA Clifford Stoll Scientist/Author/Actor

NK7U Joe Rudi Baseball player

K7UGA Barry Goldwater sk US Senator

W8JK John Kraus Astronomer

W8PAL Al Gross sk Communications Pioneer/Inventor

9K2CS Prince Yousuf Al-Sabah Royalty

9N1MM Fr. Marshall Moran Renowned Missionary

CN8MH King Hassan II sk King of Morocco

EA0JC Juan Carlos King of Spain

FO5GJ Marlon Brando Actor

GB1MIR Helen Sharman Astronaut

G2DQU Sir Brian Rix Actor/Philanthropist

G3YLA Jim Bacon TV Meteorologist

HS1A Bhumiphol Adulayadej King of Thailand

I0FCG Francesco Cossiga former President of Italy

JI1KIT Keizo Obuchi Former Prime Minister of Japan

JY1 King Hussein King of Jordan

JY1NH Queen Noor Queen of Jordan

JY2HT King Hussein's brother Former Crown Prince Hassan

JY2RZ Prince Raad Royal Jordan Radio Amateur Society

LU1SM Carlos Saul Menem President of Argentina

OD5LE Emil Lahoud President of Lebanon

SU1VN Prince Talal Saudi Arabian royalty

UA1LO Yuri Gagarin First Cosmonaut

U2MIR/UV3AM Musa Manarov Cosmonaut

VK2KB Sir Allan Fairhall Statesman

VK4HA Harry Angel sk at 106 Was Australia's oldest radio amateur

VU2RG Rajiv Ghandi sk late Prime Minister of India

VU2SON Sonia Ghandi XYL of VU2RG

XE1GC Guillermo González Camarena Invented color television picture tube

XE1GGO Enrique Guzman Singer

XE1K Walter Cross Buchanan ex-Minister of Communications and Public Works

XE1MMM Jorge Vargas Singer

XE1N Manuel Medina Built first spark transmitter in Mexico

YU1RL Radivoje "Rasa" Lazarevic Yugoslav ambassador to Brazil

OK, I understand that it's a radio of sorts, but what exactly is ham, and why do you need a license? :Fool:

OK, I understand that it's a radio of sorts, but what exactly is ham, and why do you need a license? :Fool:

Because the law requires it Cali, when we study and pass the exam and are issued our licenses and call sign, we get the privilage of operating on many frquencies alloted us by international treaties. We are allowed a lot of leeway and could interfere with other licensed radio stations if we didn't know what we were doing. Check out the ARRL, our representative organsisation within this country ARRL

There's everything to know about Ham radio on the ARRL webpage, most in none technical terms for someone looking for that sort of info about what we are about.

!rulez! I hope that what mick and ayup have just said quietens you two girls now. Me! i didn't understand not one Bl00dy word>>>>> :tease:girlvboy

!rulez! I hope that what mick and ayup have just said quietens you two girls now. Me! i didn't understand not one Bl00dy word>>>>> :tease:girlvboy

Den, go here then.......>click on me!

Or here Den................>click here!

Can anybody give me the 10/13? !rotfl!

Are there any Yl's on this forum?? and are there any updates on the eye ball that you are having with Cali? lol lol

:Vampire: Caz! what the hek r u talking about here.

10/13, YI's, eye ball. is this aboriginal? or have you finally gone on a walkabout, funny what the sun can do to you and half a crate of cheep Bordeaux. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean 10:13 Pheromone?

Athena Pheromone 10:13 added to your favorite fragrance can increase the romance in your life by enhancing your "sex appeal". 10:13 promotes your sexual attractiveness. (Anecdotal input from many women report that 10:13 helps them in their business relationships as well.)

Am i barking up the wrong tree or just chewing me bone.

You think I got time for sending bread pudding to kuala lumpa nowadays Ayup?

k803.jpg

I got a family and several websites to support.

What did happen to CB BTW?

I heard they cancelled the 27mhz band. But I did see a few cars with twigs recently.

Might dig out me old rig, see if there are any turkeys to hunt down?

post-25-1146901280_thumb.jpg