I`m sure somebody will know the answer to this. We`ve got a rescued greyhound and I know he`s microchipped because I remember changing his details to ours when he came to us some years ago but I can`t find his paperwork. Do I need documentation to prove he`s chipped? I`ve emailed the RGT but of course I need his racing name and birthdate - which are in his paperwork!

What do you think? Do I need to worry? OH is searching drawers and cabinets as I speak.

Sorry to be dim as usual.

Vets, most dog charities, and even stores like Pets At Home, should have a chip reader which will confirm the chip details. You can then contact whoever the chip is registered with to get updated paperwork.

"Where is my pets contact data stored?

When a pet is microchipped, the owners contact details are recorded and stored, together with the chip number, in a national database. There are several of these databases in the UK including Petlog, Anibase, PETtrac and Pet Protect. Each manufacturer has partnered with one of these databases to store the contact details for the chips they produce.

For any pets microchipped at Pets at Home, the contact details and unique code number are stored on the UKs largest registration database, Petlog."

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much. I never thought of the vet. I`ll just ask him to check him. I know he`s chipped but I can`t find the paperwork.

Guess I just panicked.

• Upvote 1