Lace machine manufacturers - Hooton family

Hi everyone,Wasn't sure where to put this post so thought I would start a new one.

During my family research I discovered that one branch of my family were called Hooton and had at least one factory in the late 1800s and maybe a couple more in the early 1900s making machines and parts for lace machines,one of their factories was on Great Eastern Street,I have been looking for a photo/photos of the Hootons for my family tree with no success,can anyone come up with any ideas where I could look.

• Upvote 1

Can't see any photos but obviously the firm of William Hooton must have been a large concern . Presume Hooton Rd named after him ?

There are numerous adverts for staff as you say going back to Gt Eastern St in the 1880s. If the lace museum is still going , maybe they would have some info .

This is an obit for William Arthur Hooton aged 70 in the

E.P. 30th Oct 1940 which may help with some relo's.

Just to confirm on the 1939 Register William Arthur Hooton lace machinery manufacturer ,born in 1870, is living at Forest Lodge Sherwood Rise . Also there is his sister Elizabeth and her husband Ewald Kleuser who was described as factory manager .

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/27860572542_ff7e9216dd_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

In the early 1900s they also had a factory on Egerton Street, St Ann's. On the right in this photo.

egerton_zpsey0geqbd.jpg

Presume Hooton Rd named after him ?

There's also a Hooton Street half way up Carlton Road, and a Hooton Road half way down Carlton Hill. They got around a bit.

Wow you lot are great,I knew there was an obit but had never seen it ,I don't think Mount Hooton Rd was named after them but thats another avenue to go down and check,when William Arthur Hooton lived there it was a white building and called Forest Lodge but has now been painted an ugly grey and is a care home.I think that perhaps he was just being egoistical to buy the house.William Arthur Hooton never married but did father two children it has made finding things out a little difficult as the family denied all knowledge.

Crikey William Arthur Hooton left a big stash ! 1st Feb 1941 .

Presume the "nieces" in the will are all genuine nieces ?

Also a connection to Trueman motors .

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7222/27351144883_d3d9254f42_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Have seen the thread a relative did one branch and at the moment is not able to carry on and as I am doing research on another branch thought I would have a look at it.

I googled mount hooton escarpment and found maps and all sorts of info,didn't realise Sherwood forest had been so large.