I was watching 'Dickinson's Real Deal' on the TV and one of the items was a really beautiful clock. On it's face was the name Butcher & Webb, Nottingham.

I've searched on the Internet for some information about Butcher & Webb but all I've found is every butchers shop there's ever been, haha.

I did come across something regarding the history of Nottingham which may be of interest to some of you. It's attached below.

http://www.archivecdbooks.org/resources/county/ntt/1177sam1.pdf

• Upvote 1

Michael there are adverts for them from the late 1880s up to about 1914 . They always seem to have been on Smithy Row ....number 12 is mentioned in some later ads.

From an advert :

" Oh, Yes! I shall most certainly buy my Christmas Presents from Butcher end Webb, Ltd., the Art Jewellers end Silversmiths, I always find the best assortment at the the most moderate prices. Call and see their Showrooms Smithy-row; it will well repay you"

23 December 1907 - Nottingham Evening Post - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England

I'm not sure how this is explained, but they seem to have been in separate shops. Here's Mr Butcher :-

smithy%20butcher_zps5owd9uqa.jpg

And Mr Webb, just before demolition.

smithy%20webb_zps9uiqkip6.jpg

Both listed as being on Smithy Row before the Exchange was demolished.

• Upvote 2

Re-looking , George E Butcher appears to be trading alone , certainly up to the late 1890s . He is living with his family at 12 Smithy Row on the 1901 Census .

The first adverts for Butcher and Webb appear in 1907 .

Not sure why only Webbs name is on that facia .

There is also this about the purchase of the property by National Provincial Bank

"The property on the corner of Smithy-row and High Street. known as the Blacks Head public-house, and part of the shop Messrs. Butcher and Webb, Limited, jewellers. It is their intention to build a bank the acquired premises. The present city headquarters of the National Provincial Bank are on Wheeler Gate ."

13 May 1908 - Nottingham Evening Post

Looking at old directories, both names are listed until 1915 when it becomes just George Webb.

Their neighbour in the early 1900s was Joseph Burton who had two shops at 7-8 and 10-11 Smithy Row. When the Exchange (and these old shops) were demolished and the Council House built, Mr Burton had a much bigger new store which everyone remembers.

burtonsboth_zpsdsybxhu8.jpg

Just to add a bit more for any future researchers .

It would seem that sometime before 1916 George Edward Butcher was trading as Butcher and Swann jewellers at 9 Market Street .

He appears to have died in 1937 but there was still a shop trading as Butcher and Swann in Market Street certainly up to 1950 .

Looks like his son Tom Butcher was running the shop then .

I saw your first photo on the Internet, Cliff Ton and wondered if it was the same Butcher in Butcher & Webb. I find it strange that both of their names were on the clock and yet they

traded seperately. They must have split up after the clock was made.