Where exactly on Castle Road ?  

The Trip to Jerusalem is built into the rock; there was also another pub next to it called The Gate Hangs Well which was built into the rock. There are also the houses in Brewhouse Yard which might fit the bill. But I can't think of any houses in the rock on Castle Road.

Never known any houses actually on Castle Rd. The shooting ranges take up quite a bit of the space in more recent times.

There are Brewhouse yard cottages of course, these buildings quite old. However, I seem to recollect a picture I've seen in a book somewhere, showing several cottages built into the rock with small fenced gardens in front. I had an idea they were under the Castle rock somewhere?

Just looking at Wright's directory of 1854and there are quite a few properties as being on Castle Road.

And there were a few street listed a leading of Castle Road

Castle Terrace

Mortimer Street

Edward Street

Isabella Street

Castle Row

Park Wharf

Brewhouse Yard

Standard Hill

My wife's grandma apparently used to say she lived in a house below the castle and that that had a cave at the back . Never been able to trace what road it was supposed to be on .

My wife was telling this tale to one of our sons and our grandaughter overheard this . Next day she went to school and announced to the class

" My Grandma was a caveman" !

• Upvote 1