Who'd have thought it - the age of the electronic world and still we can buy that wonderful stuff....STRING 1f642.png:) Once upon a time, all parcels were wrapped in paper and tied with this stuff:

31276207076_a62627ecd4_h.jpg

• Upvote 1

Where I work we used to send out Glasses for Tetley Carlsberg and the pallets of Tetley glasses had about 3 yards of string round them as well as polythene. Over 3 years I carefully cut the lengths of string and balled them up for tying my yearly runner bean sticks. My workmates took the mickey but Ive got string in me shed to last me out. Just saying , I'm not a string nerd or owt

• Upvote 3

I can never throw string - or other useful stuff- away.  Our kids think we're mad because we even try and save Christmas wrapping paper after presents have been unwrapped.  I really don't want to embrace today's ' throw away' society but that has to be balanced with the danger of becoming a hoarder of all kinds of bits and pieces.  

You should meet Mrs Col!!

Still have a sack of used bailing twine. The cut lengths with a knot in have been used over the years for the beans and anything that needs tying together. Always remind me of the great times out hay making mowing, woofling, bailing, collecting and stacking. The old trailers with boards missing (to allow the seeds to fall through...:rolleyes:) and the elevator with laths missing - will it start? That little old Ford tractor with a leaking radiator - water sprinkling out in front (kept the dust down...:rolleyes:). Wonderful summer days. Yes - a sack full of memories..  

A friend of mine used to have a farm up here. When he left he donated a massive bail of hairy string to me. That was seven years ago and it is now just about finished. I have used it regularly in the garden for all sorts of things.  One of the best things about it is that it rots after a year or so and becomes compost - unlike modern plastic substitute string.

I still use 'Nutscene' jute twine in the garden.

Still about in garden centres etc. Still made in Dundee, the old Scottish centre for jute production.

Nutscene 120 m Twine Rolls - Natural (Pack of 3)

And here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nutscene+twine&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=155848902954&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=846132363192120726&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046513&hvtargid=kwd-1629766496&ref=pd_sl_36s901r3ge_e

All together now....

• Upvote 1