Prominent Person - George Africanus

A good while ago i read an article at College about a very well respected man who was born in Sierra Leone and settled in Nottm in the 1700's.

George Africanus was coincidentally ( Carni) baptised in Wolverhampton.

He was described as a negro boy belonging to the house of Molineux.

He moved to Nottingham as his adopted Father was a high ranking citizen ( Sheriff)?

Anyway- as far i can recall his life story was very interesting.

My maternal great great grandmother was born in Sierra Leone. Esther Cordelia Lawson was the daughter of a military family who travelled to Sierra Leone from the Woolwich Arsenal in the 1830s. Sadly, both her parents died, presumably from disease, and she was sent back to the UK to The London Orphan Asylum where she eventually became a teacher.  It's all a bit Jane Eyreish!

Quite how she ended up married to a Lambley farmer I don't know!

• Upvote 4

Very interesting Jill................without going into detail..........I have relatives who originated from Sierra Leone..............

• Upvote 1

I reckon you are a trouble maker Dawson.........you'll have me talking about my Albanian grandson next................lol

• Upvote 1

Very interesting Ian. I thought I had better read up George Africanus, so I have just spent a while googling him. Three years of age he was given to the Molineux family as a slave. Molineux hotel bldg is now where the archives are kept and we visit quite often these days. He grew up well looked after and after completing his apprenticeship as a brass founder moved to Nottm and married Esther, they had seven children but sadly six died. He had his daughter baptised in both Nottm and W-tons St Peters Church in the City Center.

He and Esther are buried in St Marys Churchyard in the Lace Market.

• Upvote 1

Interesting learning more about Molineux all I previously knew was the football ground,remember one of the first matches to be Televised in the 50s against Honvod of Hungary..........also recall some of Wolves great players of that era ,Billy Wright,Bill Slater,Ron Flowers,Johnny Hancocks,Eddie Clamp,Albert Broadbent and Jimmy Mullen................and oh yes having a Sauna and Massage circa 1970 across the road from the ground,won't go into detail...................lol.

• Upvote 1

Here is a link to W-tons listed buildings detailing Molineux House/Hotel. It was nearly lost to fire in 2003 but was saved with extensive restoration work especially to the inside.

The building had been left for years in a neglected state, becoming quite an eyesore as it stands in quite an elevated position, close to the center of town.  Along with many W-ton people you couldn't help remarking on the state it had been allowed to deteriorate to, and we never failed to be saddened by its sight as we have to pass by on our visits to town.

You can imagine the rumors that circulated in 2003 when fire broke out, it could be seen burning for miles around, and there were many people who suspected foul play. Anyway, the building is not a sight for sore eyes anymore, and on visiting recently to use the archives,I have to say a good job has been done. Not much of the gardens remain, but a peaceful little area to sit for a while when visiting the building.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/listed/molineuxhotel.htm