Do you want to profit

Yesterday , on a daily events programme appeared an advert.

" Half price funeral with luxury extra's, if you pass away before the end of February"

It was real and the owner of the funeral parlour argued that a funeral was the same as any other item in a sale !!!

:bravo: Who told him that.

I worked with funeral directors for a while some years ago.  I have to admit that they have a very strong and wicked sense of humour!

I have to agree Compo I worked part time as a youngster at the funeral parlour opposite Noel street baths. Frank the owner was very old school, but the members of his staff lets just say that was an entirely different matter.

Another crowd that come to mind were the staff at the police mortuary. First time I went there as a young apprentice on EMGAS I was asked if I would like to shake hands with one of the dead. When I replied with a very definite NO I was told she is a very pretty lady but not to worry they would bring her hand to me!! That was me off up London road like a shot.

A few years later and much older (well I thought I was) I had got used to their ways. On one visit I stopped at the front desk and asked if the mortuary room was empty, the guy said he would check, coming back a few minutes later he confirmed it was empty and I could go in. Imagine my surprise to find on entering a body covered with a sheet on the slab, even worse it ........sat up!!! I was half way up the road before they caught up with me and explained I had been set up......

• Upvote 4

I think you do get hardened to a certain extent and a laugh is sometimes the only was to get through certain things.

Back in the 60s on EMGAS you worked every where they used gas, from fine restaurants to the Wilford Hill crematorium, from Nottingham Park (where they still had servants) to the General Hospital incinerator, from factories to the ladies loo at Woolworths.

You certainly saw life and death, sometimes in its rawest state.