Criminal activities

I can't see a thread to cover this - if there is one then maybe a mod can transfer it.

I saw/heard recently a piece about a criminal activity that is common, apparently, and so I am alerting members about it in case they are affected.

Many if not most modern door locks are of the barrel type whereby they are easily replaced. You sometimes see a lock protruding slightly - maybe 3/16th or 1/4 of an inch. I think that maybe this is where the lock has been replaced, by one that was slightly longer on the exterior. What the burglars are doing is getting a pair of Stillsons, or similar strong grips on the protruding bit, and just rotating it. The lock cannot withstand this treatment and breaks, allowing easy entry, very often through the conservatory. Just thought I'd mention it.

• Upvote 1

I had a locksmith out to one of my rentals recently to open that type of lock. Took him literally ten seconds, I was astonished at how easy it is. I was quite surprised at the size of the bill too.

• Upvote 1

We have those locks on our doors (flush fitting). Interestingly, if a key is in the lock on the inside and the door is locked, then trying to open the door from the outside with a key will not work, even though the key is fully inside the lock. So, if a burglar had the key to the house, it would not open the door. 

Another Tip.

If your car is stolen or broken in to and you have a GPS that is programmed with your home address on the "home" tab then that is an open invitation for thieves to go and break in to your house as you are most likely not at home having gone out in the car!

If you have the garage remote in the car they can also open your garage door, close it behind them and free from being observed can then use any one of many ways to get into your house

#4. A-hem. I should have engaged brain before opening mouth. I have checked our front and back doors and they both have protruding locks. So, I suppose it is up to the door thickness as to whether or not the locks stand proud. Keep the key in the lock after locking at night.