Nelsons Column who's next

There seems to be an increasing desire on the part of some people to apply today's laws and standards to the events and situations of the past. It can't be done. Times change. They will change again as the pendulum swings in the opposite direction. I am reminded of, I think it was Hogarth's depiction of Gin Lane, where a mother is so inebriated that her infant is falling, unheeded, to the ground. I don't think it would be too difficult these days to spot groups of young women so intoxicated that they can't stand up. It's just history repeating itself in a slightly different way.

As the saying goes: there's nothing new under the sun!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

What is going to happen will happen,it's just the way we react to it (and hopefully learn from it) that determines the outcome for the future

Rog

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I am reminded of, I think it was Hogarth's depiction of Gin Lane, where a mother is so inebriated that her infant is falling, unheeded, to the ground.

If Hogarth was still painting today, the child would be on the ground because the mother was looking at her phone.  

• Like 1

I have a postcard size print copy of that picture somehwere, Jill. I bought it along with a couple of others back in about 1966 from that second hand shop next to Victoria Baths in Sneinton Market.

There are many examples of people trying to change history by removing statues and artefacts in order to remove them from memory.  As already mentioned in this thread, it is wrong to try and impose today's standards on something that happened in the past when standards were different.  That is not to say that the standards of yesteryear were correct per se but they were correct to the people who were living with those standards at the time.  Statues depicting people and events in history are simply a representation of what happened and they do not need to have any other reason to continue to exist.  This is all part of the  social collective memory called HERITAGE and is a valuable part of our lives.  Without heritage we cannot learn from past errors or preserve that which was best from earlier times. Amen.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3