Were you born at home

2 hours ago, Chulla said:

Has it wore off yet, Margie.:rotfl:

That was good, Chulla.... made me smile...    

it has just been pointed out to me that I wrote on the previous page that I was born in 1945.  I should've written 1943.... I'm not trying to knock years off my age, honestly.  My finger must have twitched!

2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

My mums family name was Ellis and were situated in Arnold where they had a successful bakers shop that is now Birds on Front Street.\snip\

I'll wager you parents knew my mother.  She used to get her bread and baking yeast from that shop and lived from most of her younger life on "Back Street" (High Street), where I was born (In my Gran's front room).  My dad would only eat crusty unsliced bread.

I was born Highbury vale hospital in 1949 & lived in Carlton/Gedling till 1967 I moved back to Nottingham in June last year & now live less than a mile from where I was born I will be 69 in February :) 

55 minutes ago, Compo said:

I'll wager you parents knew my mother.  She used to get her bread and baking yeast from that shop and lived from most of her younger life on "Back Street" (High Street), where I was born (In my Gran's front room).  My dad would only eat crusty unsliced bread.

It's possible Compo but this was quite a long time ago. I'm thinking 1880's when they started. It was my Great Grandparents business and they had it for a long time and I believe it went to some relative when they gave it up. They were definitely there in 1918 when my grandparents married and possibly well after that. It was apparently very well know and popular and Arnold would have been a much smaller then of course.

I think one of the cousins I referred to lived on Back Street.

Me mam lived on Back Street from about 1930 until when she moved into her gran's house on Morris Terrace Daybrook, after getting married in 1949.  Meanwhile her gran moved into mam's old bedroom in Back Streeet.