Portable SatNavs

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of portable satnavs? I am thinking of buying one for use in spain and Portugal during February and would like some idea of their worth.  Any advice welcome....

OK, I suppose if you're sticking to main roads but there are so many roads and tracks in Europe that seem to confuse these devices that you are, as Mess suggests, better off with a compass and a map. If you really want to use tech products, use Google Earth on your phone.

The use would mainly be for finding my way around A and B roads. Tracks would have to be negotiated by feel. Mrs. C's son used to live in the sticks in central Portugal - every road was a dirt track!

I use this style of Garmin and have had no problems driving through most of France, Spain and Portugal for the last 4 years...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/sat-nav/sat-nav/drive-51-lmt-s-5-sat-nav-full-europe-maps-universal-sat-nav-case-for-5-6-garmin-n-vi-sat-navs-b0440157-pdt.html

5 hours ago, West Bridgfordian said:

I use this style of Garmin and have had no problems driving through most of France, Spain and Portugal for the last 4 years...

WB: Did you have to buy the EU maps separately or were they preinstalled?