Me thinks they were on Glaisdale drive if my memory serves me right.......infact I remember them setting up there, also I remember the land on the left of Glaisdale drive from one end to the other when it was just open fields, because that's where I use to play as a young sprog......also the miners who worked at the wollaton pit who lived on the Bilborough estate use to walk across those fields......happy day's.....I was wondering is the Old Coach road still there? At one time that road if you went down it from Glaisdale road end took you over the Wollaton Canel past Wollaton cricket ground and onto Russell drive/Wollaton road....happy day's....That's the canal where I use to fish aswell as swim in when the weather was good..........happy day's.......

• 2 months later...

Ayup Blackice

Went down Old Coach road last year, and from the railway bridge it's nowt but houses either side of the track, if you cut a left at the bottom it takes you past what was the Raliegh fishing pond, now a nature reserve and that leads on to another housing estate along Torvill drive. Dont know much after that as I now live in Lincolnshire,

Cheers

Roger.

PS Me dad worked at Wollaton pit till it closed

Roger, where did your Dad go to after Wollaton?? I served my apprenticeship at Clifton and we had a fair few blokes from Wollaton come to work with us.

John.

Hi John

My father had a short spell driving a lorry after Wollaton closed but being an ex collier didn't suit him, apparently missed the old pit collegues, "Nowt like pit men" he said so back down the pit, this time Clifton, I suppose it must have been about 1962/63.

I remember him breaking his foot down there after a runaway tub shoved him up against a wall, I was at Highbank junior school then so I must have been about 8/9.

He was a face worker and stayed until closure, (was it called drawing off or somat like that?" I also paid a few visits down Clifton when they had open day's usually a Sunday, but he would never let me work there. His name was Roy Chaplin if that rings any bells

Cheers for now

Roger