How a father spends his holiday!

• 1 month later...

I would assume that the view is from the Council offices looking East with the 'Bird Cage' pub on the left.

What is the tall chimney? Anyone know? - some sort of factory down Meadow Lane?

I dont think the coucil offices were there then Frank.

Not been able to find a picture of what it was like before they were built?

But here is an image showing what can be seen through Trent Bridge in the above picture. Is is described as THE BOULEVARD & LANDING SLOPES, and is dated 1904.

So that small stretch was called The Boulevard at that time?

post-30-1164747447_thumb.jpg

...almost the same photo,its like one of those spot the difference puzzles,-maybe even moments apart. The smoke is same amount same direction in both.(from the steamer boiler),one person descending the plank inthe postcard, 3 in Micks, even the same old person in the stern seat. Quite a chance discovery you both have.

I know that the Council House wasn't there at the time the photo was taken - I just used it as a reference for where the piccy was taken - Doh!!

:yahoo:

Copyofvcb.jpg

jy20002.jpg

Post mark on reverse is - 1st may 1907

Posted to Miss Shaw

54 Truman st

Nottingham

From Auntie L Brown.

I have looked in a A 2 Z book and Truman st dosen't exist anymore but there is a Truman Close NG3. I have looked at the grid reference it gives for said close but still I can't find it. Any ideas why...

Trueman Street might be on my early maps, But no indexes?

Heres a map of the area of Trent Bridge. Shows what was there before the County Council Offices.

O.S. (6 inches-1 mile) 1879-81 Survey, Revised 1919

post-30-1164822843_thumb.jpg

Most of St. Ann`s(NG3) seems to have been demolished. Truman(without the `e' Mick) street was probably replaced by Truman Close (1, Truman Close, NOTTINGHAM, NG3 1NJ ) and depending on the scale of the map may be difficult to find.

Many of the old roads and streets have been replaced by `walks,close etc.,).Hope this may help.

Thanks, thats it. A really pleasant row of terraced houses with elm and lilac trees in the front gardens. Everyone knew their neighbours, and the friendship was outstanding. Let a burglar or thief or vandal try to disturb that community!!!

Well I never Simkins street is marked, that's the place where this picture below of me and me mum was taken circa 1949....thanks mick..arn't I cute?

simkinstreet.jpg

Well I never, that`s the same pram my father used to collect the coke from Meadow Lane before they started to deliver....

How amazing your family and mine were almost neighbours. Simkins St. runs into Bluebell Hill Rd.opposite either Northampton or Southampton St,the point being that the little dears from BBH school must have marched past your road to the church hall on Northampton st. for gym/P.E. classes. AlsoSimkins st. was only yards from Elm Grove, so not only were we neighbours in Thaxted Close, but also Bluebell Hill.! Two other points, 1. your brother probably attended BBH school but behind me2.My sister and you Den are about the same age and you probably had the same midwife!! :Friends: Your mum must have been a real hero pushing that enormous pram up a VERY steep Blubell hill on the way back from `Slab Square'

What a small worldit is. !rotfl!