I used to have a mate at Claremont, called Frank Locking, he spent some time being a traveller on the fair, a "gaff lad" he called it, and, during 1965, apart from hanging around the Market Square, we would frequent Churchills cafe, near the top of Mount St, anyone go there, or remember the place?

Dont think so, i remember The Beatles We Can Work It Out being played on the jukebox loads. It was frequented by loads of rockers at the time, i was ok then as it was before the time i necame a mod, but i remember a bloke called "Slim" being there just about every time we were, wearing the rocker uniform of tapered ice blue jeans, and a black leather jacket, which could be bought from Wakefields for either 7 pounds 19 shillings and 6 pence, or 8 guineas. Mine came from the one that was on or near the corner of Castle Gate or nearby, at its junction with Wheeler gate? (Just up from C and A, on the opp side)

• 1 year later...
I used to have a mate at Claremont, called Frank Locking, he spent some time being a traveller on the fair, a "gaff lad" he called it, and, during 1965, apart from hanging around the Market Square, we would frequent Churchills cafe, near the top of Mount St, anyone go there, or remember the place?

Yeh, I used to go in there after night school while I was waiting for the Bartons bus back to Beeston. It was a big red building wasn't it?

Only went in there once for a coffee after a row with a girlfriend.I Must have been about 19/20 years old.Opposite was an attractive woman in her forties sitting looking unhappy with a large suitcase at her side.She looked over once or twice,and shortly after she left I went to my car and passed her walking carrying the case.On impulse I pulled up and she walked up to the passenger door and said..."Where shall I put the case?".....Talk about a line from a 'B' Movie. :rolleyes:

Anyway...It turned out she'd had a row with her old man and was leaving him.We went for a drink and the rest 'aint gonna be put on here.I dropped her off back home in the early hours thereby probably saving her marriage......thoughtful little sod I was. :tongue:

Two unhappy people goin' to bed with a grin on their face.

Paul.

Yeh, I used to go in there after night school while I was waiting for the Bartons bus back to Beeston. It was a big red building wasn't it?

Not as far as I can remember, it seemed to be like a single story, almost make shift building, certainly dont remember it being big, or red.

Afaicr, it had windows all down its Mount street side, and possibly more elsewhere, with the juke box at the right of the building, opposite the entrance, just to the right of the serving counter.

I stand to be corrected on any points as it was a long time ago!

• 2 weeks later...