Gold radio/GEM AM to end on medium wave...

Gold radio/GEM AM on 999 Khz/301 metres medium wave from Trowel/Balloon woods transmitter will shut down on 30'th June.... It first fired up on 3'rd July 1975 as Radio Trent: Nottingham's first commercial radio station, it was also on 96.2 FM. In 1988 the frequencies split & 999 Khz/301 metres medium wave  became GEM AM an oldies station, & Radio Trent carried on on FM. In the mid/late 90's it became Classic Gold Radio. Gold Radio carries on on Digital radio & online, lucky for me I bought a digital radio last month. End of an ear though...   

I lost track of who-does-what in commercial radio a long time ago. These days it seems to concentrate almost entirely on looking at the past. When Radio Trent (and the other commercial stations) started in the 70s it was a genuinely new and different format for radio in this country. Gradually it all became more bland and anonymous - identikit radio. A pity, because it could've been good.

Try Boom Radio.

I'd heard of Boom but never remembered to listen to discover what they sound like.

An interesting concept; they don't have a centralised studio, each presenter operates from their own home.

And there's a local connection, because one of the founders is David Lloyd, who used to be on Trent....among many other stations.

• Like 1