Thought i'd start this 'Thread'...seeing as how i'm always 'Bumping' into people from my deep past...and its usually interesting........

To-day was no exception...and just happened to be in Bulwell...lol...

A chap ive known since my teenage years literally bumped into me as he was leaving a shop.......not actually seen him for a few years....he's same age as me and retired same as me at 73 thru 'Ill-Health''...5 years ago......

About 4 weeks ago his lady phoned us and said he's in Hospital and its touch and go.......so you can imagine my delight at seeing him and looking well.........conversation went as follows...

Me......thought you'd 'Snuffed' it Mate........

Old Pal..........Not ready yet...

Me.....good lad...you fancy work in Norfolk for a week?

Old Pal......certainly...when you want me...

Conversation went like that all thru........

Funny thing is he used to work for me for about 10 years back in the 90s.......he was always a cantankerous and a big moaner...in fact i sacked him twice...but always took him back..when he'd turn up and say...'''Gis a Job''......lol........

Men like him are few and far between...workwise they went anywhere and did everything that was asked...so long as you allowed them a good moan.......great bloke so pleased to see him looking good........

-

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sat at the doctors a few weeks back and as there were only two of us in this waiting room I got talking to the other chap. The chat got round to where we lived and when he told me where his house was I realised he had taught me to drive back in the late sixties.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Often see a lad i was at school with... in Bulwell...........wont use his full name dont seem right.........his first name is John......

I always say ey-up John...and he just replies with a smile and Hello.....and has no further conversation....suspected he just didnt remember me...........

Saw him this morning with his wife...and decided to tell him about an old school Football Photo from 1956 which we are both on.......(its on here somewhere but cant find it..........decided to take the bull by the horns and asked him DO you remember me John....NO he replied..i hardly have any memories left........if i tell you my name will you remember?........don't know he said.......

Told him.....and a big smile came on his face......and he said.......Henry Whipple...Redfearn cup...you were the centre-half and Captain.......Made my Day and his and his wife's........a truly Magic moment........

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3
31 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

.and decided to tell him about an old school Football Photo from 1956 which we are both on.......(its on here somewhere but cant find it..........

What might the photo be titled ?  

Tried a few words CT...but no luck...............it was a photo of Henry whipple school team 1956 ish...on st albans road bulwell...

John is the goalkeeper biggest lad on the picture.......tried quoting several surnames but no luck.........be great if you can find it mate..........

Saw in obituary notices that one of the cricket team I used to play for had died. I had not seen any of them for about thirty years but decided to go to the funeral which was at the new crematorium on Catfoot Lane. Not being sure where it was I went early, found it quickly and sat in the car to wait for the alloted time. Looked at each car that came in but did not recognise anybody so nearer the time I got out to go to the chapel. Another chap did the same ,enquiring if we were both going to the same service. As we approached the doors one of the assembled group looked and commented " there is a blast from the past". Wondering which of us he was talking to I didn't reply but then he spoke to me directly, it turned out to be our opening bowler!! Faced him as wicketkeeper many times but I didn't recognise him that afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2