Several years ago we bought some paintings from the gallery in the Arcade. They were delivered to us by one of the ‘art consultants’ who said they took them from the gallery down to the car park (behind that green door) so as not to be carting them through the middle of town.  

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Am I correct in thinking that the entrance to the legendary Burton's lift was the green door here ? ............

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d8zqBq7oSSKArZYz8

Thats the one, every shop in the arcade had access. there was no car park as such but some cars did park down there.

I wonder if the space under Burtons is still there? Used to love Burtons as a child and always had our turkey from there every year. Remember my father forget to order the Christmas Eve pick up one year and all they had left was an unplucked one. We must have spent hours that night sorting it out. What was the furniture shop near there on the Poultry called ?  My brother worked there for a while.

59 minutes ago, Beekay said:

But maybe theres a chance I'm getting confused.

Having used the lift hundreds of times BK I can only remember the lift as having  standard metal sliding gates

8 minutes ago, MRS B said:

I wonder if the space under Burtons is still there? U

It certainly is. I don't know if this is true, but a colleague told me some time ago an enquiry for upgrading the substation down there was made as they were considering selling the council house lock, stock and barrel.

I wonder how many students it would hold?

Your'e probably right Brew. Like I said, it's about 45-50 years ago. Alot of brain and memory cells have gone to bed since then.