Big problem with moss in the grass at the back of my place it's an area that never gets any sunshine on it even in summer, I have tried aerating the area using my garden fork and raking in some sharp sand, I have used my powered scarifyer and also a good going over with a lawn rake all to no avail. I don't like to use chemicals on my garden so upto now that has not been an option, however I was told about using "Iron sulphate" on the moss as this doesn't damage the grass so I bit the bullet and gave it a go, mixed some of the powder up in tepid water and poured it into my sprayer, one light spray on the moss and left it,  I went back an hour later to make sure I hadn't missed any and the parts I had sprayed had already turned dark brown and started to die off,  very impressed, all I have to do now is wait for a dry day so I can rake off the dead moss and dispose of it

Rog

Iron sulphate is a really good moss killer for lawns and can assist in fertilising the lawn. During winter we have about six feet of lawn that gets only late afternoon sun and if we get a particularly wet winter the moss thrives. Iron sulphate soon fixes it.

• Like 1

Rog.,if you still get problems with the mossy area, you can allus dig it up and try growing gravel on concrete.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Barrie, I worked in the extractive industry (mainly gravel) nearly all my working life so I think I'll pass on your idea, thanks for the suggestion though thumbsup

Rog

30 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

You can use it to line your hanging baskets Rog.

Have done that in the past Phil and it works a treat but not having any baskets this year so moss killer it is

Rog

I had the same moss problem on one side of my lawn next to a fence, for years it was the same  plenty of moss killer, sand, aerating  and scarifying. When it looked OK it was Autumn and the moss came back with a vengeance so after 20 years of trying it was time to change. I laid sleepers 6 foot from the fence and laid fabric and covered it with blue slate chippings, I then planted a few conifers , barrels with bamboo plants in them and decorative grasses in the slate, now I have to do nothing at all , its great.

• Like 1

I’ve never seen our grass so long, green and lush as it is currently. It desperately needs cutting but it’s much too wet and some areas are ponded. The lake at the end of the field has reappeared with a vengeance. We’re in need of a period of drought to bring us back to normality. There’s a lot of flooded fields with winter wheat struggling to grow. The Trent is once more up to the top at Fiskerton and well over the fields at Kelham. I went out to the workshop to do some chainsaw maintenance as I’ve got a large fallen willow branch that needs chopping up but it was cold, miserable and windy outside so I’ve come back into the warmth. I think a trip to the butcher’s is on the cards. It’s a pork chop, chips and baked beans sort of a day!

• Like 1

My grass was quite long and as you say Phil far too wet for cutting, however I got the petrol strimmer to work and just gave the grass a light cutting using that, looks much better now although still a bit long but at least it's all the same length so looks much better, the mower would have ripped the grass out and looked a right mess but the strimmer does a much better job on wet ground

Rog

Well I’ve just returned from the butcher’s with two enormous pork chops and two enormous Barnsley chops. All far cheaper than fish and chips for two from Burton Joyce chip shop. I like the butcher’s at Muskham. The owner knows his trade and he looks like a proper butcher as well!

• Like 1