The Queens - pub in the Meadows

That building is currently occupied by - if I remember - solicitors and has recently been repainted externally.

It probably looks better now than it has done for a very long time.

• Like 1

I remember, back in the ‘60’s, at that end of Arkwright St, The Chequered Flag sportscar showrooms, the Hong Kong Chinese restaurant and a Jamaican grocer’s where I bought a bottle of the hottest pepper sauce I’d ever tasted. I think there was a Barclays Bank on the corner of Queen’s Rd. I recall standing outside the Midland Station with my mother in 1947 and seeing the flooding which was just down the hill around Crocus St. railway bridge.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I remember, back in the ‘60’s, at that end of Arkwright St, The Chequered Flag sportscar showrooms, the Hong Kong Chinese restaurant and a Jamaican grocer’s where I bought a bottle of the hottest pepper sauce I’d ever tasted. I think there was a Barclays Bank on the corner of Queen’s Rd. I recall standing outside the Midland Station with my mother in 1947 and seeing the flooding which was just down the hill around Crocus St. railway bridge.

That was near where the Crown Inn was. I'm interested in both places. I was told that gay men used to meet in the Crown so I was curious about it!

The building in Stuart C's picture has not been demolished (unless it happened in the last couple of days).

Where was the Crown Inn which you are thinking of ?

3 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

The building in Stuart C's picture has not been demolished (unless it happened in the last couple of days).

Where was the Crown Inn which you are thinking of ?

Arkwright Street on the corner with Crocus Street. I got the two confused - that one was demolished in 2012 for the tram but the Queen's is still standing. I don't know much about either. I'm researching gay venues and someone mentioned those two places!

24 minutes ago, Carolinejanedebarra said:

Arkwright Street on the corner with Crocus Street. I got the two confused - that one was demolished in 2012 for the tram but the Queen's is still standing. I don't know much about either. I'm researching gay venues and someone mentioned those two places!

Albert Brown used to drink in the Crown, Roy Sheffield was the landlord.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, denshaw said:

Albert Brown used to drink in the Crown, Roy Sheffield was the landlord.

Ah yes! I've heard lots about Albert.......! Do you know if there was more than just Albert there or was it known as a place to go for gay people?

1 minute ago, denshaw said:

I don't think it was known as a gay friendly pub, Albert had a friend possibly called Ted.

Ah ok. It doesn't come up in my research at all! I know Albert had a partner/business partner called Maurice at one point. Someone else mentioned someone called Vivian too

Article from Evening Post 29th Jan 1994 :

Still reigning in beer guide
THE Queen's Hotel, on Arkwright Street, is a typically imposing Victorian establishment, but brightly adorned hotel has a sad secret.
Built at the height of the railway boom in the mid-1860s, it was a profitable business which attracted a Mr. Shrewsbury whose son Arthur was
later to become one of the outstanding cricketers of his day.
Arthur, with his brother William, a reasonable batsman, took over the hotel from his father and ran it for many years.
In 1902 he had topped the batting averages but by 1903 he feared his playing days were numbered so, as the cricket season was just beginning, he ended it all.
I believe he shot himself," says Steve Webster, the landlord whose son unearthed this tragic tale.

But all that's history and times are happy now at the Queen's.

Whoever visits the Queen's can be sure of one thing, they will be visiting a traditional pub. Steve also describes himself as a traditional beer man who was saddened to see the old Shipstones brewery close several years ago.

It was the takeover of the brewery by Greenalls that, in 1991, led to Cama boycotting Shipstones pubs.

However, so many members drank in the Queen's that it was decided enough was enough and the pub was reinstated. Whatever he may say
about tradition, Steve is not averse to change. 
Since he and his wife Tina took over five years agi, it has had a major overhaul both inside and out.

XTRAS: Quiz night Wednesday. Saturday
music on the keyboard with singalongs from 10pm Ladies darts team, but no men's team. Traditional pub games include dominoes and table skittles.

FÖOD: Sandwiches £l.20-£1.30, toasted sandwiches £l.20, hot snacks, eg burgers, sausage cobs £1.25-£1.70, jacket potatoes £I.30-£1.75, main meals, eg curry, omelettes, roasts £2.40-£2.75.

BEER: Shipstones Bitter £l.30, Shipstones Mild £1.28, Tetley Bitter £1.38, Stones Bitter £1.38, Grennalls Original £1.50, Guinness £1.76, Labatts Lager £l.54, Čarling £l.54, Strongbow and Woodpecker Cider £1.56.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Queens - pub in the Meadows