The Harbour Cat had already dropped off its final load of passengers for the evening, and was being driven back to the Sydney Ferries dock when the collision occurred.

Nobody aboard the ferry was injured.

"The [private boat] basically just disintegrated," said Clive Marshall, the chief executive of news agency AAP.

Marshall witnessed the incident from another ferry which was passing at the time.

"There were a couple of people hanging on to the wreckage. There were people in the water around the boat."

"It was just mayhem, you can imagine what it was like," Marshall said.

Sydney Ferries CEO Geoff Smith said crew and one passenger from other ferries in the area joined in the rescue effort, diving into the dark water to fish out the survivors.

"The bravery is beyond understanding and beyond belief," he said.

Can you imagine the bravery of the Sydneysiders jumping into dark shark infested waters to rescue their fellows. Wonder if this would happen in Nottingham today,(mius sharks!) B)

Brave indeed.

I've dived(scuba)the harbour many times and was always amazed at the huge number of sharks in there.

What I would like to know though is why there were 12 people on a 25 foot boat..

I think the skipper of that craft will be in a bit of bother with the waterways authority.

Baz :ph34r:

A very sad day. What an awful thing to happen. Don't know as yet if they have found the body of the 14 yr old haven't watched the news. Just goes to show you never know when your time is up,& on that note i'm going to have my first glass of wine for a week & really enjoy it, & before you add anything Den it's true !cheers!

The Girls body was found floating near the scene today. Must have been trapped underwater and has just come up. Apparently she was eating desert directly where the cat chopped the rear end of the boat off.

It is not unusual to have that many people on a fairly broad beamed boat just cruising around. I am more concerned about the reports of no nav lights.

Unfortunately we get conflicting reports on these sort of disasters. The Garuda crash was another instance. You have to feel for the family though,waiting a week or so for your kids body to reappear is traumatic to say the least,god knows they will never recover.

It will be interesting to see what the authorities uncover?