Evening Post correspondents...

Stan's letters to the Post, which he copies into the Forum, reminded me of two regular (often daily!) contributors to the paper during the pre 'Pole-Carew' days of the 50's, 60's & 70's, when I was a reader.

One was a Max Nottingham [from Lincoln!] who was also a regular phone-in merchant to Radio Nottingham.

Perhaps the best known prolific Post letter writer was, if I remember her name correctly, Dolores M. Behrman - always signed (Miss) - from Gregory Boulevard.

Does anyone remember either?

Cheers

Robt P.

Telling paragraph from his website....

"...I am greatful [sic] to have been born in England. But, truth to tell, it is still a "snobby" class-ridden country with a crackpot competitiveness bordering on a rat-race..."

Says it all, really.

Interesting that many of these old time correspondents have Jewish backgrounds. The Yiddish schools were well known, pre and post war, for their heavy emphasis on teaching correct composition and grammar.

Several Jews post to other forums to which I contribute, and the quality of their English prose is quite outstanding.

Cheers

Robt P.

...you would love Australia then Rob, it is a workers` paradise! Everyone,and I mean everyone,on first name terms,even the Prime Minister. Respect has to be earned and maintained.Unfortunately money and the American way are slowly destoying some of the old spirit.

Longheld ambition to visit Australia, Stan...

I have an open invitation to visit my cousin in Napier NZ, and almost made it about 5 years ago. My plan was to travel via Oz and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea..another of my 'must see' places.

Would have done it, except an urgent kidney removal scuppered the arrangements!

Doubt it'll ever happen now...no longer the tuned athlete that nobody remembers !situp!

Cheers

Robt P.

I absolutely remember Dolores Rob,can't remember what she wrote but I remember her for sure

Caz,

IIRC, she wrote in almost daily for decades commenting on virtually any subject under the sun.

Reckon she was specifically interested in local matters...rather dismissive of any view which conflicted with her own!

She must have been an elderly lady then, so presumably she now sits at the great writing desk in the sky.

On a current railway group we have an elderly Jewish lady who is a 'world authority' on railway ticketing!; if anyone writes in enquiring the cheapest possible route from say, Dundee to Dover via Blackburn - she will mail the answer within minutes....

All posts written in superb prose, in her own inimitable style...a la Dolores!

Cheers

Robt P.

• 10 years later...