Castle Rock's Harvest Pale ......

A RICH HARVEST FOR TWO TOP CITY BEERS

07:00 - 10 August 2007

Two Nottingham beers have taken major honours at the Great British Beer Festival. Castle Rock's Harvest Pale hit the bright lights when it took the gold medal and the title of national champion bitter.

And Nottingham Brewery's Rock Mild was the silver medal winner in the Mild category at the festival at Earl's Court in London this week.

Richard Studeny, chairman of the Nottingham Campaign For Real Ale, said: "These are worthy winners. It is good news for Nottingham, good news for micro-breweries and good news for everyone in general."

He said Harvest Pale was a popular choice for drinkers and could be spotted in pubs up and down the country.

Tynemill's Castle Rock brews 15,000 pints of Harvest Pale every week at its site at Queen's Bridge Road near The Meadows.

Commercial director Colin Wilde said it made up more than half of Tynemill's current output.

The straw-coloured bitter, with a 3.8% alcohol content, was launched at the Nottingham Beer Festival in 2003. The following year, the Society of Independent Brewers named it as their national champion.

This year, possibly owing to a slightly lighter malt, it has taken this nationally-recognised prize.

Mr Wilde said: "This is the pinnacle. It is a serious gong."

Over the last 12 months, all the bitters brewed in the country were whittled down to a shortlist of 24 for the award. A panel of professional tasters, members of the trade and politicians tested them during the 30th Camra Great British Beer Festival, which ends today.

Mr Wilde said the secret of Harvest Pale's success was attention to detail and a team of brewers who cared about what they were doing.

They will receive the gold medal at a ceremony at Lord's cricket ground in October.

There are plans to sell Harvest Pale as a bottled beer later in the year.

Mr Wilde said it was a major boost for brewing in Notts - especially after the recent loss of Hardy and Hansons.

The beer is pulled in Tynemill's own chain of around 20 pubs - including the Lincolnshire Poacher in Mansfield Road in Nottingham and the Stratford Haven in West Bridgford - and also as a guest beer elsewhere.

Tynemill has invested more than £250,000 expanding the Castle Rock Brewery, driving its production capacity up 200% from 30 barrels a week to 90 - around 26,000 pints.

Reports from the Earl's Court festival suggest lager sales have taken a hit compared to last summer - when there was fine weather, a football World Cup and people could smoke in pubs - but bitter sales remain relatively consistent.

THIS IS NOTTINGHAM

WOW - High praise indeed - and I always thought Den was pulling our collective legs!

Any where near the station that serves HP Den? ,as I am coming over for the match on Saturday (Notts v Brentford) on the train, and have to introduce my mate who is coming with me (Who is a shandy drinking ,southern softie, of a Brentford fan) to the pure nectar of the gods that is known as Harvest Pale.

I know the brewery is near there ,has it got a bar attatched or near there?

IAN

;)

The brewery tap is the Cat and Fiddle, which is situated at the side of the brewery Ian not 1 hundred yards from the station, there is seating outside as well as in.

Bip.

Sorry but no..........very rare I go into Nottingham on a Saturday dinner in fact I never do, only in the evening I venture 2 the Poacher on Mansfield road.....sorry.

Bip.

Or you could venture onto Canal Street and enjoy a pint in the Canal House while viewing the 'inhouse' canal boat and some superb air conditioning smile2

I stood at the bar in the Poacher last night

Bip.

Is that post aimed at making me jealous BIP?

- as all I had on offer down in Cambridge was Greene King IPA - not the best, but I did my utmost to down as many as possible hoping that the barrel would run dry and I would then be forced to sample some other gastly southern brew thumbsdown

Only a couple of southern beers that I know of that are OK - Sheperds Neeme and Charles Wells.

Did they not do 'Abbot' thats by Green King too or it was last time I was down that way .It's not bad.

;)

By the way i've been in the Canal House when I was last over and met up with Mick. Beggining of May .I didn't notice they did it until we were leaving

No it will have to be the Cat and fiddle or whatever its called

Sorry beef it is the Vat and Fiddle, I make these silly mistakes every so often it’s me age you know and now suppose I can look forward 2 making even more now that I’m a year older.

Bip.

My mate wasn't over enamoured with 'The Pale'( but what can one expect from a big Jessie of a soft southern shandy drinking puff eh? ) I thought it was Fruity and certainly quaffable.

• 6 years later...