----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 6:08 PM

Sorry it's been so long everyone, as I am on "dial-up" now, I rarely ever use my computer anymore. To my Nottstalgia buddies, I miss being on the site, tell everyone hello for me, and the family and I are doing well!

Dear Elaine

You are also missed here. I will pass on your message.

We just got back from LA and Las Vegas.

We enjoyed it, but boy was it hot!

Come back and see us when you can

Love to the family

Mick

Send her my regards Mick.

• 3 weeks later...

I too was on dial up several months ago, it never stopped me from tuning in.

In many ways’s I wish now I stopped on it because ever since I started broardbanding it I have had nothing but trouble. The only advantage I have seen is when it comes to You Tube downloads apart from that it’s crap.

Bip.

I was on dial up until just a few short months back, was the slowest internet connection I've ever been on. In California I was on 28.8kbs max connect speed and it was three times faster than my prior 56k connection! I'm on DSL now with 200Kbs connection speed.

I only went on broadband because AOL was offering it a pound cheaper than my dial up at the time. While I was at my old address it was fine, no trouble at all but since moving out here in never never land I’m constantly being taken down luckily though Aol has a reconnection system which means if you are disconnected it reconnects you without being asked to. But it can be a little frustrating especially when you are in the middle of ordering something off a sale site.

I must go to bed it's getting late.

Bip.

What speed do you get Bip? I am on Tiscoli and it was advertised at 'up to' 8mps I actually get between 6.5 and 6.9

What kind of broadband do you guys use? Here, we typically have two choices: Through the cable TV system, or DSL through the phone lines.

I have cable at home, and Vonage phone service which also is through the broadband connection. The internet is very fast and pretty reliable. Vonage is great - $25/month and free calls to England. The savings on our phone bill alone pays for the high-speed internet connection. I pay about $100/month for the cable - which includes digital TV (BBC America!), and the internet.

At work we have DSL - the speed is somewhat slower than the cable - and images, etc. seem to download in "spurts" - but I have noticed that with several DSL connections. DSL tends to be a little more expensive than cable - especially if you use Vonage as the phone bill itself can get pretty big!

What is "dial up"? I didn't know they still made modems!

smile2

I pay £30 amonth for 8mps broadband free calls to all U.K. numbers exept premium rate stuff I also get free international calls to the top 10 most popular countries US, Aus ,Spain, India, etc

Direct dial up was all that was available when I first got on the internet 12 plus years back Eric. Max speed then was 28.8Kbs!! Then the FCC started to allow 56Kbs systems.

Up until recently where I live, all we had was Direct dial up, used a telephone line soley for internet, and you had to dial your ISP up through the modem card in the computer. theoretical max speed is 56K's but more usually below 40Kbs. When your on the internet it ties the line up, where as your familiar with DSL you have a filter so you can use the phone on the same line as an internet connection.

What speed do you get Bip? I am on Tiscoli and it was advertised at 'up to' 8mps I actually get between 6.5 and 6.9

I haven’t a clue beefy…..but whatever the speed it’s fast enough for me any faster and I wouldn’t be able to keep up. Mine is DSL too.

Bip.

Here Den, try this, it will show you your connection speed.

ISP Connection Speed.

Thanks John….

My speed is 200kbPs

Is that good ? I'm still non the wiser. :Fool:

Bip.

Not bad Den, that was my speed a few days back, now 1.5gb, much faster!

Just to give you an idea how fast I was when I first started on the internet way back in the early 90's, 28kbs!! I doubt I was clocking that speed most of the time though!

Then a few years back our ISP went to 55kbs connect speed, but more often than not I was at around 10 -12kbs!!!!!

Now I'm on DSL.

Currently running at 200 kbs here too. You dont need it much faster cos if it were it would be downloading sites before you even thought you needed them LOL !rotfl!

There was a great commercial here for one of the DSL providers where a guy surfed to the end of the internet!