I didn't catch any comment about this place when it was recently featured on Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares Has anybody been in this place? What did you think to the show?

Typical Ramsay script - restaurant in trouble (losing three grand a week) the hero walks in and saves the day. Now I wonder why the restaurant was suddenly packed to the gills after it was announced that Gordon Ramsay was around? The restaurant's main problem seems to me to be where it is, right in the middle of a bunch of horrible pubs where the Ted Baker Brigade hang out.

I did think that it showed Nottingham in a decent light for once on the small screen though. Some of the opening shots were of him walking through the Market Square and it looked pleasant enough on a nice day.

Regarding Gordon Ramsay, I can't actually stand the guy. I have to admit this show is good viewing though.

Funny you should mention Gordon Ramsay - we were in a "posh" restaurant in Ann Arbor on Christmas Eve that could use a visit from him - appalling service, average food and exorbitant prices! Perhaps he will do a US tour?

He's done a 'Hells Kitchen' USA where he takes a bunch of 3rd rate chefs and kicks their ar*es eliminating them one at a time the winner got to keep the restaurant

Funny you should mention Gordon Ramsay - we were in a "posh" restaurant in Ann Arbor on Christmas Eve that could use a visit from him - appalling service, average food and exorbitant prices! Perhaps he will do a US tour?

I think our need is far greater than yours, mate! Certainly from what I've experienced in N. America. :-)

One interesting point that came out of the program was Ramsay's statement about Nottingham 'having a greater amount of restaurants than anywhere else in the UK'. He said there were nineteen curry houses alone.

I didn't catch any comment about this place when it was recently featured on Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares Has anybody been in this place? What did you think to the show?

Typical Ramsay script - restaurant in trouble (losing three grand a week) the hero walks in and saves the day. Now I wonder why the restaurant was suddenly packed to the gills after it was announced that Gordon Ramsay was around? The restaurant's main problem seems to me to be where it is, right in the middle of a bunch of horrible pubs where the Ted Baker Brigade hang out.

I did think that it showed Nottingham in a decent light for once on the small screen though. Some of the opening shots were of him walking through the Market Square and it looked pleasant enough on a nice day.

Regarding Gordon Ramsay, I can't actually stand the guy. I have to admit this show is good viewing though.

Ha ha Gordon Ramsay is now about the only thing i would turn the TV on for !!

It was mentioned here , but ignored .

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?sh...=2390&st=20

It was a minor masterpiece of camera angles and judicious editing NOT to reveal the waiting for a wrecking ball grottiness of West End Arcade et al directly opposite.

Nottingham always looks a lot better on the telly than in real life. When Central set their series "Connie" in Nottingham she must have been driving some kind of teleporter. You know the thing: up Mapperley Hall Drive; cross over Trent Bridge; down by the side of the Council House then left into The Park - with Newstead Abbey in the background.

It was was the same in that telly series of about four years ago (Was it called the pheonix brothers?) Neil Morrisey ,him out of ' two pints of lager and a packet of crisps' and Charles someone,

They went through the old Trent Bridge (That bit in the middle of the road) then round the back of the council house, cut back to the canal along London Road ,then across the Square and a few other disjointed places too

They also pronounced Sneinton as Sneeenton

Nottingham always looks a lot better on the telly than in real life. When Central set their series "Connie" in Nottingham she must have been driving some kind of teleporter. You know the thing: up Mapperley Hall Drive; cross over Trent Bridge; down by the side of the Council House then left into The Park - with Newstead Abbey in the background.

I was working in The Lace Market when they were filming 'Connie'. I was working for a printer on Plumptre Street and walking home one afternoon when I saw Stephanie Beacham being filmed on Broadway. Would have been about '83?

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...