Hey Y'all or ay-up.

Hi From Georgia USA.

Found this site while looking at Nottingham photos. Really enjoyed many of the posts about life in the 60s in Nottingham.

Grew up in Netherfield.

First job at Ericssons in Beeston and then on to electrical contracing until I moved to Canada in 1970. Lived there happily mostly in Alberta and became a Canadian citizen. My first wife died in 1999. Re-married an American lady (Long story :-) ) and moved down to the deep South. It helps to avoid -40 in the winters but I could live without the +100s and humidity in the summer.

Last back to Nottingham in 1997. Last century hard to believe! I saw many changes at that time and I'm sure would find many more now. My new wife would love to visit as she has not been outside of North America so who knows?

Always been a dog lover. Presently have a large Black Lab who keeps me well walked.

Look forward to hearing from you as we explore various topics.

Dave (Loppylugs)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new wife would love to visit as she has not been outside of North America so who knows?

Ayup Dave - and welcome.

Looks like we could be on fer another meetup at the Poacher smile2

Welcome from the frozen north - well, Michigan!

I remember Ericssons well - I interviewed for an apprenticeship there when I left school - but went to the NCB instead (12 quid a week, as opposed to 9 at Ericssons). One of our neighbors worked there - Arthur Howkins.

Wish I was in GA right now!

One of our neighbors worked there - Arthur Howkins.

???

I know Arthur Howkins, if its the same, he is a Member of W.A.V.E. Long Eaton.

(Wyvern Amature Video Enthusiasts). I will be seeing him in the near Future...

???

I know Arthur Howkins, if its the same, he is a Member of W.A.V.E. Long Eaton.

(Wyvern Amature Video Enthusiasts). I will be seeing him in the near Future...

I would guess he is around 70 now, but it could certainly be the same person. Ask him if he lived on Trowell Grove (or perhaps still does), if so, say "hello" to him from me.

Thanks for the greetings ya'll

I remember Wallet street.

Attended Chandos boys school 1956-1959. Left as soon as I could. :-)

Worked at Ericssons/Plessey for about 8 months or so on an assembly line. I wanted an industrial electrical apprenticeship but did not pass their entrance exam. Not smart enough I guess. :-)

So I baled out and went to work for Clarks in Netherfield. Did a five year apprenticeship there and never looked back.

Got a masters ticket in Canada and had my own electrical contracting co. for quite a few years. Got smart later. :-)

However Ericssons was fun. Lots of girls on that assembly line. Nottingham was always famous for that. Got an education real quick!

Another question. Excuse my ignorance. What is "The Poachers"? Obviously it sounds like a pub but please bring me up to speed.

Hey Limey!

Thanks for the greeting. What are you doing in Michigan. Might as well be in Canada. :-)

Its actually a rainy night in Ga tonight, but we need it. Been so dry they were talking about running out of H20. We don't need the thirsty crowd from Atlanta descending on our peaceful little burg. Guess they'd just have to drink beer. But washing with it would be a bit much.

Thanks for the greetings Beefsteak and Frank.

Take care all.

Dave

You're welcome mate

The Lincolnshire Poacher is a pub on Mansfield Rd that backs on to North/South Sherwood street Selling many fine beverages of which one is Harvest Pale (I shall leave it to Den and Frank to fill you in on the finer details )

Hey Dave:

It's a looooooooong story that starts with the NCB, goes through the British Plaster Board(!) and finishes up with working in the engineering side of product liability! The company I work for does a lot of work for Ford, GM and Chrysler - hence Michigan. I have also lived in Colorado, Wyoming, Massachusetts and Virginia - and I must say Michigan is my least favorite.

Hope to retire soon and our plans are to move to Floyd County, VA - a very pretty, and inexpensive, place to live!

Sat here racking my brains for a U.S. state that begins VA and Vancover appeared as if by magic ,somehow i forgot it's in Canada and therefore cold

In the words of Homer Simpson DOH!!!

• 2 years later...

HI DAVE

LIKE YOU I WAS BROUGHT UP IN NETHERFIELD ETHEL GROVE DEBIL ST YOU MAY REMEMBER MY FAMILY MY OLDER SISTERS KATH, JEAN, AND PAULINE AND MY OLDER BROTHER RAY WERE MORE YOUR AGE THAN ME WHAT WAS YOUR LAST NAME I MAY REMEMBER YOUR FAMILY. AS A DOG LOVER YOU MAY REMEMBER OUR BIG BLACK AND WHITE NEWFOUNDLAND BLACKIE OR KIM THE BROWN AND WHITE MONGREL WHO WAS ALWAYS DOWN TRENT PONDS WITH OR WITHOUT MY BROTHER RAY , HE ONCE CHACED AND BIT EDDIE WRAGG ALL THE WAY DOWN DEBIL ST AND BIT HIM ON THE BUM AFTER HE HAD BEEN BULLYING ME AND MY YOUNGER BROTHER JOHN. HE RIPPED HIS NEW LONG TROUSERS HIS DAD CAME UP MOANING LIKE HELL TO MY DAD WHO TOLD HIM OFF FOR HAVING SUCH A BULLY FOR A SON HE LEFT US ALONE AFTER THAT . MY DAD WAS ONLY 4FT 8INCH TALL AND WORKED ALL HIS LIFE IN GEDLING PIT 52 YEARS IN ALL KNOWN BY MOST PEOPLE AS LITTLE WEMMY.

BEST WISHES BARBARA PIGGOTT NEE CLEMENTS

Sat here racking my brains for a U.S. state that begins VA and Vancover appeared as if by magic ,somehow i forgot it's in Canada and therefore cold

In the words of Homer Simpson DOH!!!

Not cold at all in Vancouver mate. The climate is much different there to most of the rest of Canada. It's quite a lot like England. Think 'rain' (and plenty of it). :)

So that's why they had the winter olympics there then!!..................................LOLrotfl.gif

So that's why they had the winter olympics there then!!..................................LOLrotfl.gif

It has been said! Vancouver gets an average of just two days snowfall a year. It's a wee bit different in those big mountains nearby though... ;)

Whistler wasn't it ?. It looked really beautiful.

I am kicking myself about it all really, as I told SWMBO that when I got the compensation through for my accident that we would go to Canada , visit my freind (She lives in Cochrane, Alberta) and ride across the whole of Canada on the CPR. Not realising (Till too late) that the Winter Olympics were on in Vancover too (We both enjoy the Summer and Winter Games) and we would have been able to pull them in too. Anyway, as it happened, I got a lot more than I expected , and payed off our mortgage, etc, instead , not leaving enough for the "Holiday of a lifetime" !!

If I had noticed the Olympics were on, we would have done without the new car or something and made the trip!!

That would be a great trip mate but (if the planes ever get back in the air!) I'd offer as an alternative, flying to Calgary and travelling through the Rockies to Vancouver as another idea. Calgary is just 90 minutes drive from the Rockies. There's quite a bit of prairie land in the middle of Canada I'd be less interested in travelling through. Some love it's vastness though. I'm a bit biased but for me, Western Canada has what a lot of people want and expect to see in it's huge mountains and lakes.

Western Canada is hard to beat Stu. Spent some of the happiest years of my life in Alberta. As you said 90 minutes from Banff and not much farther to Lake Louise. I have driven through the Rockies many times but never took the rail trip. One of these days I'm going to go back and do it.

Certainly Western Canada remains a perpetual outstanding memory for me.

Did the usual West-East route from Vancouver to Hope, Kamloops, Mount Robson, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff - then onward through the Columbia Ice Field and Fort Steele down to the American border.

The ultimate visual memory, that I'll take to Wilford Hill, is perhaps a rarer one...the downward view to the isolated cobalt-blue Peyto Lake, far below.

Matlock Bath never quite the same, thereafter...

http://www.pointandsquirt.co.uk/justin/alberta_4.html

Cheers

Robt P.