Does anyone know wht happened to this pub before it became a aussie bar? I think that the landlords name was Pete can't remember his wife or daughter and sons... But i am sure that they were one of the few that weren't a tied house and held on forever... I remember you had to go outside to the loos there.Spent many a sunday night there - left had side of course....

The News House was my local when I worked at Walton House.

The landlords were Pete and Pat MacDonald, I think they moved on to a pub to the south, Bunny or Gotham - they're probably retired now.

The last time I looked it was still a horrible Aussie Sports bar, it's a shame the new owners were allowed to destroy the News House which at that time was an excellent pub.

And the other one is on Canal Street.

I'me pretty sure the one on Canal street was a Home Ales house too. For a while it was run by Julie who was Frank Frochs' (father of Carl the boxer) girlfreind

• 1 month later...

Yep. The local in the city for ten glorious years. Centre of the universe throughout the eighties and sadly butchered by some little company exec twerp in a Daffy Duck tie and braces with a 'brilliant idea' for a theme.

Pete was indeed the last of a handful of tenants in town until he was finally squeezed out by the brewers' (painful!) obscene rent hikes. I did prefer the place before all day boozing attracted a host of ringers in each day; prior to this, you could go down there without bothering to call anyone up, because you could guarantee to know the whole pub whenever you walked in, and I thoroughly enjoyed working behing the bar for the Macs between 82 and 84(apart from Ravel's Bastard Bolero on the juke). Great memories - although if Mariag spent each visit in the left hand bog, can she tell me why the lads and I never met her? We were in there about twelve times a night. Pete and Pat now retired in Bunny(no pub) - Pat working part time at Asda in WB. Cath still in Notts area, recently became a mother, Andy is a sparky living down in Ruislip - we often meet in Wimbledon or up West for a few.

NEVER within the long annals of human intemperance has such a boozer been so missed so much by so many.

Hathaway

• 3 weeks later...

I bumped into Pete and Pat in town this lunchtime, hadn't seen them for years and both are retired and looking extremely well. Spent some time talking about the BT regulars that used to go in there.