Nottingham - The "Murder Capital"

Babs was that the one where a girls body was found by the old cinema in Sherwood?

That would be early 90s?

Thanks for the old pub name Denshaw, it was bugging me.

not sure mick i seem to think it was a private garden between sherwood and day brook square but you could be write never talked much to old friend about it as she was so upset about it but remember the papers saying it was a garden but you know what papers are

I have a feeling it was near the old Daybrook cinema which was the Roxy on Ribblesdale Road which is the opposite side of Mansfield Road to Thackerys Lane (as opposed to the Sherwood cinema, the Metropole). The latter was on Mansfield Road standing roughly opposite the junction with Edwards Lane, as detailed here before.

I remember the Roxy and Metropole. I used to go to the matinée on Saturday mornings at the Metropole in the late 1950s. The Roxy was in a strange location for a cinema, being around the corner from the main road in an area where one wouldn't expect to find a picture house.

Around 1959 a night-watchman in Bulwell was murdered and his body was put across a hot brazier, the type that you see on picket lines. One of my brothers was working at the pit and the police went there to arrest him. They said that he matched the description of the killer. Apparently, he also had the same type of jumper as described by a witness. After being interviewed my brother was released but at 0400 the next morning the police went to our home in Grainger Street to interview him again. After the interview the police went away. The following day two detectives came to our home in an unmarked police car and again interviewed my brother. After a lengthy interview the police went away and my brother wasn't charged. My brother hadn't been involved in the murder and it had been a very traumatic time for the whole family.

you might be right about her father being a policeman but i am not sure but think she came from carlton gedling area mick

Mick2me knows about the murder which sort of involved me - not sure if it is a good thing to shout too much about it though.

Whisper then but please don't leave the rest of us in suspense. Just as bad as reading a good book and finding the last pages ripped out.

re the girl murdered on Mansfield Rd late 1980,s/90,s, was she daughter of fairly high ranking police officer? if so have mentioned somewhere on here how my eldest son shared house at arnold with a guy who was dating her after she split with the murderer, after he had killed her he told friends he was going after him! they told the police, My son and ...... were at home watching tv and all hell broke loose, armed police surrounding the house, helicopter hovering overhead, they had to walk out hands above their heads and lay on the floor till police certain the killer not one of them.