Yes had Jack Casey as my headmaster..evil man and not fit to teach kids..when he retired we got Henry Higgins..or was it Higgens?..anyway much nicer man and the school was so much better...put me off religion going there and also saw first hand what they got up to during my tours of duty in N.Ireland....the school has long gone but the buildings are still there, went a walk round it a few years back...remember Mr De Lee?..I remember the Mulvanys..there were 3 of them...the youngest was in my class but I cant remember his name....Danny maybe..Trevor was a really good footballer.

If you were going down the Dungeon in 66 so was I...didn't know many people in there only the guys I went down with..often went Sunday afternoons because there was no where else to go.

Maybe Nottingham City Council could put a plaque on the wall outside to mark where Nottinghams most famous club once was....perhaps we should start a petition!

pete c....still riding a vespa

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That plaque is a great idea Pete! My mum often has meetings in the council house with the hierarchy, Ill ask her to sort it!

I also started going to the Dungeon (as mentioned way back( in 66, it was Easter Monday, for the all dayer, I was 14, but obviously looked older.

That visit changed my music taste for life, especially when heard through The Dungeon sound system!

So, there must have been many times we were there at the same time, even if we didnt know each other back then.

Hi Pete, I do remember Mr Higgins and his seven kids he lived on Private Road,Mapperley which was on my paper round so I saw him first thing in a.m and all day at school. Mr De lee became Headmaster after Mr Higgins. In fact I saw Mr De Lee last year at Beeston Fields Golf club. he was dressed in plus fours shirt and tie and the famous flower in button hole.He was with his sister who he live with.he never marri

ed. I introduced myself and he said that he did'nt recognize me so I must have been a good boy.Look's good on my C.V The plaque sounds brill,also the Dungeon reunion in November. Will be interesting to see who turns up and who recognize who ?? When I went down the Bung I had shoulder length blonde hair. 6ft 5 lanky with a huge bald headed bloke STu Morris my best mate for the last fifty three years. we looked a odd couple.I still look the same now but five stone heavier and short hair.take care

See Craig about often

KEEP ON KEEPING ON

Jan, I dont recall that description of your hair! Possibly you had it cut before I actually met you? Either that or my minds playing tricks on me, possibly due to frequenting too many all nighters, and too much intake of "pro plus" to help me stay awake? I remember it came in 3 different colours, purple, blue, or black...........

Great if your mum can do something Craig..would be good to see the old club remembered in that way....my first trip to the Dungeon was also in 1966...I was 16..think it was in May...my birthday is July when I would be 17 so I know it was before then...the first record I can recall from that day was the Impressions You've Been Cheatin'...sounded wonderful through those huge speakers..I bought the record a few days later and still have it and the follow up Can't Satisfy..two of my all time favourite soul records....I'd never heard music played so loud...loved that walk down those big wide stairs the music getting louder and louder til it hit you full on....The Beachcomber etc good as they were never had the same kind of impact on me.

Jan do you remember Miss Stoiack (not sure of the spelling)..blonde teacher...would have crawled over broken glass to get to her!!!!!...the Redmons PT instructors..Joe Austin, Chuck Mcleever..Mr Hopkins..woodwork teacher..you got any school pics?

My mum & dad used to see Mr De Lee at church on Lenton Boulevard for years....maybe he didn't fancy the ladies!!!...good teacher though, was my form master for a couple of years..liked belting you with his cricket bat!...didn't realise he was still alive....never really liked school and was glad to leave.

Pete, obviously no promises, but Ill get my mum to bring it up, and see what happens.

Re the first song that you remember at the Bung, I dont recall hearing Youve been cheating at all! The Impressions songs that I do remember were, as you mentioned Cant Satisfy, but also You always hurt me.

Some of the other tracks that had those big 18" Goodmans bass units vibrating were Open the door to your heart, by Darrel Banks, Little Darlin, Marvin Gaye, and the opening to Shake me wake me by The Tops, those were songs that made ya dangly bits throb!

Yes Craig it's true had blonde hair till I was 21 then turned mousey. Must have happened when I worked on oil rigs wearing helmets all the time. back to the Dungeon went down in Sept 1965 because it was Stu's 16th brithday and we went on a dare.. I wore a chordroy jacket and wrangler jeans could not afford Levi's then. Just got hooked on the music and atmosphere.remembered my first taste of whisky,went to get Jimmy Cliff's autograph. He was getting changed in the cloakroom upstair's .Invited me in got a bottle out no glasses just had a swig out of the bottle. Chatted with him for half a hour.Very nice bloke specially with the whisky.

Somebody on Evening Post is writing about the Mod's and the Dungeon club saw a bit in thr BYgones??

Pete miss stojack I do remember I used to speak to her in Polish, native tongue .Mr and Mrs Redican Mr Byron metalwork. Mr Dremzie Russian teacher,Mr Tregaski, Trigger( physics) got his phone number lives back in Cornwall or Majorica for 9 months.He came into my pub and said hello and pronunced my surname perfect. Bald has a badger. he had fuzzy hair back in school.I think Joe Austin passed on also had him on my paper round, all round Mapperley Park.made a years wages at Xmas time with tips.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON

I was there.....or was I? hellothere In all honesty, I cant remember the day, although wasnt it a Saturday?

I also remember the bus outside, people rushing to the loo to flush things downt it.....cant think what that woud've been? Perhaps they had a tummy upset??????

I also had it in my head it was the rip off Temptations that we were waiting for to go on,( the band billed as "The Fabulous Temptations, not the real lot!) it wasnt, it was The Drifters, and the following week, how it made headlines in the Sun, and my mates and me singing Stevie Wonders " A place in the sun" whilst talking about it!

I can remember too, a girl that I knew, (hey thats poetic!) her mum coming in, and marching over to Barry in his dj box, and the next minute Barry asking on the mic if anyone had seen Gloria Squires, and loads of the boys shouting "Shes in the graveyard!"

I also met a few of the big names of the day, Edwin Starr, Lee Dorsey, and Andy Fairweather Low, great guys!

my memories no better! cant even be sure of the year, remember the bus and being searched also the crowd at the bottom of stamford st which was cordoned off. some people went up the belvedaire and waited it out, i went home! the walk back to clifton across the hapeny bridge and through wilford is what i remember most. think it was saturday no allnighters on a sunday as i remember

Hello folks, surely the all nighter started on Saturday and ran into Sunday hence the name allnighter???.That is the one I missed because I was in the General Hospital recovering from having my ingrowing toe nail removed. Had a good Alibi

Pete C .....Did you run cross country for nottingham because my cousin G.G did and he say's he know you???

I took him down to the dungeon with me in 1965

isitsafe

KEEP ON KEEPING ON

Craig you have You've Been Cheatin' its on one of the Dungeon cd's I did..Vol 2 if I remember right...still have all the songs you mentioned on vinyl.

Jan yes I did run Cross Country but only for the school team....did G G live at Gedling?

Sorry this is short just come off a 12 hour nightshift and my bed is waiting.

2 answers here, Pete, I didnt say I hadnt heard Youve been cheating, of course I have, what I said was that I dont recall hearing it at The Dungeon, then again I bet there were loads of tracks that went by me un noticed!

Hippo Girl, December 10 1967 was when Otis was killed, but, I dont remember a tribute night there, does anyone else?

What I do recall was when the Ready Steady Go special on Otis was on, my mate Graham Asher and I went to another mates house, Chris Nichols, and watched it before going down to The Dungeon on the Friday night, and later Barry played some Otis tracks, big ones of the day were Satisfaction, I cant turn you loose, and Fa fa fa sad song

Sorry Craig misunderstood..but yes they did play that record at the Dungeon...Beachcomber too....I think the raid was 67 but Im sure that wasn't the only raid...maybe somebody could go to the library on Angel Row and trawl through the achives to see what the Evening Post had to say about it..pretty sure it was front page news....think you have to book a micro reader or something like that but you can print stuff off...a job for someone with lots of time on their hands.............any volunteers?

Sorry Craig misunderstood..but yes they did play that record at the Dungeon...Beachcomber too....I think the raid was 67 but Im sure that wasn't the only raid...maybe somebody could go to the library on Angel Row and trawl through the achives to see what the Evening Post had to say about it..pretty sure it was front page news....think you have to book a micro reader or something like that but you can print stuff off...a job for someone with lots of time on their hands.............any volunteers?

will try and make time to search it out Pete
so can you remember what year the raid was Jan?

Hello hippo girl, been working. The raid was in wintertime in 1967,end of January or begining of Feb. The DRifters were on but never came on because the police raided at 0.30 to 01.00. This is from Stu Morris who was there,sorry I cannot find the exact date..

KEEP ON KEEPING ON

As I remember (weekend) all nighters started at 12.01am on the Sunday? seem to recall bar if not club closing sat night then opening up again? Innit funny how memory plays tricks? I cannot recall years, know I was 19 when I was at Dungeon as never took a certain girl there, and by 20 was with another who I never took there, talking of which do you recall a girl who lived in Eland Cottages between Northgate and Egypt Rd? one week she'd be like twiggy another dressed in black leathers! And does anyone recall a fishtail wearing guy on a 500cc Matchless? (yours truely)