Just before you joined us Pete, I heard her new single (Mercy) and started a topic on her on here. I thought it absolutely brilliant, and ,with the 'Northern' video as well ,,,,,,,awesome

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before you joined us Pete, I heard her new single (Mercy) and started a topic on her on here. I thought it absolutely brilliant, and ,with the 'Northern' video as well ,,,,,,,awesome
Sorry to change the subject slightly Craig ,but have you seen the video for the number one on the download chart, Mercy by Duffy, Full of northern dance moves Pharoe spins ,back flips,swallow dives etc (brought back some memories I can tell you

I wouldn't say it's a 'northern' track though, she sounds like Amy Winehouse singing that 'Funky Green Dogs' track from 96 "Fired Up"

I have tried to link it to you tube (It is on there ) but there is no URL on the video at the moment

Sorry Beef i knew someone had posted about Duffy but could not find it - i have now - see above .

I just had alook for it Nick , but I couldn't find it, found it from your link

It was in Nottstalgia Nottingham Forums Nottstalgia Music Chat Keep the Faith - Soul and Motown Soul Music Trivia Question - Beef - 19 pages long .

Indecently after The Beat had finished in the Market Square there was a gaggle of youths & gals carrying open face helmets & wearing parkers but there hair & probably shoes & badges where quite different from what was worn in the 60s & 2nd wave late 70s , must be the new mods ?

While I’m here The Story of The Who on BBC 2 tonight Fri 30 May, 11:35 pm - 1:35 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/progr..._4224_28630_120

Funny thing here Beefy is that the Jonathon I know fits that bill re Rock City, im just leaving Kev Thomas (Arcade Records) a message to clarify if the 2 people are indeed the same person!

Saw Kev at Fopp, and he is as adamant as I am, the Jonathon from rock City, and of course his old record shop, was definitely called Jonathon Woodliffe, and he also doesnt believe that Jonathon ever used a different surname, as is common amongst us dj's, look at mine for instance, although that was down to the programme controller at Trent at the time!

Just to add, bumped into another "face" from the Dungeon, "Mondo" Caine earlier tonigh at The Regency in Ilkeston, told him about this forum and thread, and he says he'll be checking it out soon.....if youre here already mate.......Welcome!

It has dawned on me that I am only assuming that Ball was his surname, as I only new him as Jonathon 'cos he used to come to badminton with his uncle who WAS called Ray Ball

It has dawned on me that I am only assuming that Ball was his surname, as I only new him as Jonathon 'cos he used to come to badminton with his uncle who WAS called Ray Ball

I dont know of too many uncles having the same surname as thier nephew, except within Asian familys where whole generations share the same name.............Oh.and in Kentucky, where the daughters father and partner are the same person, or should that be her brother and hubby are the same person!!!!!! !rotfl!

Oh I dunno I have the same surname as all my dads brothers...LOL

Seriously, I was thinking it was his dad that he used to come with it wasn't until I started to get the old grey matter working that it dawned on me .............TWIT

I dont know of too many uncles having the same surname as thier nephew, except within Asian familys where whole generations share the same name.............Oh.and in Kentucky, where the daughters father and partner are the same person, or should that be her brother and hubby are the same person!!!!!! !rotfl!

Speaking of rednecks. Here's the happy couple on their wedding day

redneck2.jpg

And here is their new mansion house

redneck.jpg

And it looks like Mr Kipling did the catering or are they "Twinky bars"?

redneck3.jpg

Anyone know what's in the basement of the old club now?..do the solicitors who seem to have all that building actually use the basement for anything..storage maybe?..would love to have a look in there.

pete c....still riding a vespa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Still at school at Claremont, some mates had planned a visit to the Dungeon, Easter monday 1966, and i was invited. Now being under the required 16 minimum age, although i looked as if i was, i was let in as a guest.

Never having been to a club before, hey i was 14!, i didnt know what to expect.

The decor was mod op art/ mary Quant style, and very dark, it was before the multi million pound lighting thing had come about, and the sound.....it was to me totally awesome! Id never heard bass like that before, and it was soooo loud! ( i recall 4 x18" goodmans speakers on what looked like a wooden panel supplying the bass) but, the music they were playing was to change my taste from the regular pop served up on Radios Caroline and London, to what is still my favourite today.

I dont recall hearing The Isley Brothers before then, but the first song i heard in there was This old heart of mine, and that was it, my taste in music was changed, to the mix of soul and motown played there.

Id be pleased to hear form others who went there, in fact, during my year on 106 Century fm, i had a phone call from a guy who used The Fox in Sneinton as his regular, and bumped into one of the Dungeon "faces" Kenny Astle, who back then looked like keith Richards of The Stones.

Does anyone remember the following? : Sedge, Gabby, Big Eddy, Pete Lemon, Pete Blood, Chris Nickols, Graham Asher, "the mini boys" and little Eric ? and im sure everyone knows Stu Morris!

Hello Craig,I used to go there with Stu Morris in 1964, saw the faces ,jimmy cliff,procul harem,loads of acts for sixpence or a tanner,play golf with one off the mini boys.tassi

Hello Craig,I used to go there with Stu Morris in 1964, saw the faces ,jimmy cliff,procul harem,loads of acts for sixpence or a tanner,play golf with one off the mini boys.tassi

Is this Jan, as in Jan & Sue?

Its Jan as in Stu Morris's mate, who was a butcher at the Coop on Hucknall road in 1966! And not only that has been coming to The Regency Suites in Ilkeston of late! Good to see you again old mate.

Mustnt forget either, when I did that original post, I totally forgot to mention another "face" of the time, "Mondo" Caine, I hope your last name has an E on the end Mondo!

Him and Jan paid me a visit to my room at The Regency earlier, and Mondo wasnt overly impressed id forgotten to include him, sorry chum, who could forget that bottle green suit with the massive centre vent you had either !!

• 2 weeks later...

I never went to the Dungeon Club, But I can remember some kind of a steam engine.

At a pub near the Carlton Car Auctions. "Engine house"?