Like most folks I take note of sell by dates on food. But it always amazes me how few people realise there is a difference between them and 'best before' dates.

Do you buy products cheaper if they are past their 'best before' dates...or do you strictly only buy goods that are within the 'best before' date, but at the full price?

Personally I'm only fussy on products like bacon,fish,shellfish,cheese etc.But I ignore the 'best before' dates if the product is cheaper and looks ok.

Paul.

Some have said that I’m passed my sell by date but don’t let that fool you I still have a long shelf life to go and not yet reached my best by date.

Anyroadup I’m not quite sure if I understand those dates.

It’s very rare if I look at those dates on item in a supermarket for the simple reason most popular supermarkets have a turn round period of only a couple of days.

I would look at those dates in a discount supermarket after all that’s why they are discounted.

Bip.

I always have a nosey on the Whoops counter at Morrisons whatever I'm in for (Even just for some milk) , I have had some real good bargains. 3/4 pound Fillet steak for 50p once !!!

Now then Paul I hope none of those seven loafs got thrown out after their best before date?

Besides stale bread is what one needs to make terrific bread and butter pudding.

Strawberries in my opinion are over rated, especially if they are from Spain.

Bip.

The strawberrys in Morrisons at the moment are still from Herefordshire!!!( believe it or not ) and are delicious still ,In recent years there have been great advances in the quality of Spanish strawberrys too , they used to smell great but tasted bland ; nowadays they taste a lot better.

• 1 year later...

!sickly! I always tell SWMBO that the food in the packet has no clue what date it is............so providing we 'cheat' & say the day before's date when opening the Ham/chees/corned dog etc will be none the wiser........rely only on your sense of smell/taste............. !sickly!

4 jam doughnuts 19p

(Still warm) French stick 19p

Half a cow (4 1/2 kilos) Top side Beef £17 !!!!!

4 Taggliatelli , should be £1.99p , Morrisons price 19p.

I'm going back tomorrow for fireworks on sale at a quater of their normal price to staff (My mate works there and gave me the heads up and told me he could get me some for New year!!