Be wary - Latest Con trick ??

Got a team of door knockers working the area (North Nottingham) and handing out Free Raffle tickets offering Free Chance to win a Nissan Micra. Claiming to be promoting new local dealership. Tickets look very "official Nissan".

All that is required is your phone number to add to the ticket stub so that you can be notified of prize if successful.

But it's only after reading the small print that one sees the statement "not connected to Nissan"

Also that there will be daily draws for which the ticket holders will be "invited to receive a gift for watching, along with your partner, a demonstration of out Complete Homecare System. To be carried out at a suitable time for both of you in the comfort and convenience of your own home".

Fell for it, and handed over my phone number - didn't I? :angry2:

Now awaiting the call with interest. Anyone know what they're selling? Vacuum or Steam cleaners perhaps?

Wouldnt call it a con exactly, nontheless, its very annoying!

I once got roped into having a demonstration of some kind of vacuum cleaner, to find that it only cost over a grand!!!

Mind you, when I got one of those " you have won a major prize" calls, I asked them if it meant I had to go to what was basically a "time share" demonstartion. No was the answer....... so let me see.......all I have to do is pick up my free tickets for a holiday in Orlando? yes was the reply.........I repeated my query whether it was time share a number of times.......NO was the answer.

OK, so off I go to a propeerty on Friar Lane, to find..............you guessed it..... a time share demonstration!

I decided to let them know I wasnt a happy bunny, and that despite being reassured it was nothing to do with time share, it was.

I happened to let them know I was a broadcaster on Trent, and that I would be talking to our solicitor about it, to then be told that I didnt have to sit through anything, and that I would receive my 4 tickets for the plane, and hotel accomodation in Orlando, amazing, being in my position on the radio frightened them in case of some bad publicity, so a good end result, but pity the others who went along and only got a voucher to have a satellite dish fitted or similar!

Did you go to the good old US of A ?? or like me let the bloody things run out of date ??

Nope, went and thoroughly enjoyed it, the first room they put us in was a bit crap, so I called reception, and they moved us down to a poolside room, except when we were sitiing there one afternoon, french doors wide open, the security guy came round to advise how it wasnt a good idea. It was back when there were lots of robberies in Orlando at the time.

As for the airline, I believe it was a charter flight, Monarch or similar.

We had a phone call one day and it was the offer of a free carpet clean, the Mrs agreed and when they turned up they cleaned a fraction of the carpet. It turned out to be Kirby vacuum cleaners £800 each. No thanks.

Den.

Only received my free raffle ticket at 5 pm last night, and had already won a prize by this morning.

So they must nice folk wanting to treat me to some freebies so quickly.

Told the young lady that I was unable to discuss the matter at the time as was in the middle of my dinner - so she is to phone back.

(Just waiting for the night shift to turn up now - though I might be having my tea at the time)

As regards getting the phone number to check whether we're out, to do a burglary. Don't think they'd get on very well with the dog, as we don't usually feed him til we get home!

And Kirbys at £800 to £1000 (That's some years ago too)! Believe that the bulk of that went in commission to the salesman, who probably deserved it after camping in the lounge for several hours trying to complete the sale.

Only received my free raffle ticket at 5 pm last night, and had already won a prize by this morning.

Really is my lucky week. Not only won a prize in Thursdays draw, but have struck lucky in todays' draw as well !!

Yes, it's a free Carpet clean - when I agree to let them call to demonstrate their 'Complete Homecare system'. (Surely not carpet cleaners?)

If my luck continues at this rate, I reckon I'm bound to win the car - so I've asked them to call me back when the keys are ready for collection.

(But wonder if I 'blew my chances' when I told them that my carpets are all oak laminate, and asked them to pass my win to the next in line?)

P.S. Just noticed that the back of ticket states "if the car advertised is not available at the time of the draw then an alternative (prize) will be offered.

Perhaps a free carpet clean?