Did you know you can only put 2500 pics in a photobucket account. It's a bit of a bu99er if you are shutter happy like me !!

I have to open a new account now

I remember the good old days of film and slides whereby I had such a collection I needed a linen trunk to store them. These days one only needs several memory sticks to do the same job.

Bip.

BiP,

I've read quite a few times that the digitalisation of photography is a double edged sword. Yes, far more photos are being taken at virtually zero marginal cost but the downside is that far fewer photos are being kept in a format that will make them easily accessible for posterity.

In a hundred years time people won't be able to open an old tin trunk and look at the photos. All there will be is a pile of CDs and memory sticks for which there is no suitable playback equipment or software.

BiP,

In a hundred years time people won't be able to open an old tin trunk and look at the photos. All there will be is a pile of CDs and memory sticks for which there is no suitable playback equipment or software.

That time has probably already arrived. My first digital camera (a Fuji state of the art 1.3Mp ! ) used Smart Media Cards. Still have several full cards of photos. But last time I tried to purchase another one (needed for a Yamaha keyboard) I found that they're no longer stocked by any of the main dealers. They're obsolete already, and my card reader does'nt accept them.

And a word of warning for anyone using SD cards in their cameras, and thinking of buying one of the new high capacity SD (SDHC)cards. Check carefully first - they are not the same format.

I purchased one which works perfectly in my camera, but then found that the reader in my (2 year old) computer was incapable of reading this new format and downloading the pictures!!

It could be worse Nick. On my last visit to my mums , I enquired as to the where abouts of the 'photo box'? (Loads of old stuff to put on here) to be told that mother had thrown away most of them as she was clearing out the loft. Now forgive me for sounding daft, but ain't that what lofts are for ???

Re Flickr

Do you get an email if there are enquiries or do you just have to keep your eye on your pics ?? (Mine are under beefsteak44 by the way)

It could be done in one of two ways - using Flickrmail which is like sending a pm, or by putting a comment against a picture - both should be copied to the email address you registered. The trick is to join key interest groups, for example you could join one of the aviation groups and post some of your pictures there - it widens your audience. Most places also have groups, Nottingham is quite active and they actually meet up quite often.

The 'add contact' option also works - in essence your contacts see all your new work as soon as they login and you see there's; I'll add you as one of mine and you'll see how it works.

Cheers.

Forgot to mention the use of TAG's - they are in essence the search terms people would use, difficult to describe - it's easier to look at other pictures and see what they used. You'll soon get the idea.

A very interesting post here, i set up a photobucket account the other week and couldn't believe how long it took to download pics.

Is there a maximum amount of pics you can download at one time on flickr??

Ive been looking through some of the pics on there including yours zab and very good they are too. I might be asking for some info soon

The young un !cheers!