Tragedy at Moor Bridge...

Woman and child killed by train

"...A woman and her seven-year-old grandson were killed when they were hit by a train on a crossing in Nottinghamshire. The incident happened on Saturday at about 1840 GMT just north of the Moor Bridge tram stop in Bestwood Village. British Transport Police has confirmed the train was travelling between Worksop and Nottingham on the Robin Hood Line.

Officers said the pair were killed at a foot crossing where train and tram lines run parallel..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/7744475.stm

Robt P.

Until the truth comes out how this tragic accident happened one can only speculate.

The lady in question may have been long-sighted or a little deaf.

Last night just before my train was due there came a non stop train bound for London St Pancras. The platform announcer warned all those on the platform to stand well back from the yellow line. I was just a little to the right of the yellow line as I walked down the platform in a Nottingham direction when I glanced around to see this high speeder approaching some hundred yards away, I never heard it coming but then again I might be a little deaf.

These modern engines make very little noise at high speed.

Bip.

Given that you've got parallel train and tram lines, it would be all too easy to forget that traffic runs in both directions on both lines, and I strongly suspect that this is the root cause of this accident. As Bip rightly says modern trains are all but inaudible until they're right on top of you. Even at slow line speeds they can't stop as quickly as a bus, and of course they don't have the option to swerve.

Most modern railways are constructed with Continuous Welded Rail, which IMO increases the risk to crossing users as the familiar "clickety-clack" of an approaching train no longer exists.

Yes very sad, Not only modern trains either, I remember reading a book written by a fireman who says one day on a goods train approaching hucknall from annesley they could see "something" on the line in the the distance, on getting closer they saw it was 2 women talking in the middle of the track with backs towards them! despite much whistle blowing they were forced to stop and driver went up to them and tapped one on shoulder saying "look behind you" the woman promptly fainted, injuring herself as she fell bad enough for ambulance to be called, sounds unbelievable but as in a local book and a known local person? As regards "high speed passes" was with sons at beeston and all trains running late due to storm in leics, was advised by station master to stand back as london train "making up time" he said speed limit I think 75? came through at god know what speed, the place shook!

We had a very much publicised incident down here at Elsenham Station a couple of christmases ago, quite frankly, I think that the incident at Bestwood should be left alone until the facts are known, it must be hard for everyone concerned, it should be left at that and not discussed on here.

I too saw the report last night regarding the accident and I too concur with the fact that the crossing is not well lit but didn’t the accident happen during the day?

May I suggest that there should be some sort of audible warning of a train/tram approaching.

Bip.

Would it be practical to light up every crossing there is?

Still say an audible sound would make people more aware of approaching tram/train.

Bip.