Rare Snow Owl sighting

After another look... Iv just realized the owl under the sign saying about photos & donations, looks asif hes telling you to make sure you make a donation, he looks a very serious character!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok as promised a couple of the Buzzards and a very nervous looking Rook , watching them intently from a bit of shelter.

I've been watching a female Wood Pigeon being persued around the roof tops by various suiters for the last couple of days . He spots her She spots him He huffs and puffs She ain't impressed

Cold, wet and windy as a rule. We still have four seasons: Winter can be very cold, -20°C not uncommon, -25 on a few occasions throughout a normal winter. Can snow heavily at times and there is onl

I'm very fortunate in that I have space around me for birds of all kinds. Buzzards, Hen Harriers, Kestrels and Sparrowhawks are not uncommon; there are red throated divers locally along with many other waterbirds. If I go to the north coast (11 miles) I can see Skuas, Puffins, Guillemots, Eider duck and Petrels along with many members of the gull family. There are Blackbirds, thrushes, Redwings, Fieldfare, Warblers Most of the Tit family, occasional Crossbills, All the usual garden birds, especially Chaffinch, greenfinch and Goldfinch; Siskins, occasional Black Caps, and recently Collard Doves have started nesting in the garden too. Barn Owls nest in the farm shed across the road and there are many bats in Summer. We are on a migration route for Pink footed goose, Greylag goose and Canada goose and we get martins and swallows too. Not bad for birds here really.

I'm very lucky to have so much space. I was walking through our small wood this afternoon and I disturbed a pair of Wood Pigeon in the trees. What's so pleasing is that I planted the trees when we first moved in18yrs ago and now they are rewarding us with a variety of wild creatures.

Quite jealous over here Compo! I only get the odd pidgeon because of the amount of cats around. I'm popping a bird box up high up next to my bathroom window so I'm hoping itll attack some different birds. I'm not a 'bird watcher' but I do appreciate all kinds of wildlife. Love animals in general. If I had it my way I'd have my own petting zoo, guineapigs, rabbits, dogs, cats, fish you name it! Unfortunately I'm not aloud anymore :(

Isn't that just Exquisite?: the heart shaped face and the pearl like beads on its feathers.

I can quite see why Elizabeth 1 had her dresses designed from the features of this bird and then of course the owl is considered wise - all makes sense doesn't it? :cool:

I've been watching a female Wood Pigeon being persued around the roof tops by various suiters for the last couple of days .

He spots her

6863254562_1915821a98_b.jpg

She spots him

6863255494_5464003f8c_b.jpg

He huffs and puffs

7009369681_8238e2df9c_b.jpg

She ain't impressed

7009369807_ba56124f24_b.jpg

He plucked up the courage to move in

7009370573_c163e6367f_b.jpg

She still ain't impressed

6867711454_bf2234e0cf_b.jpg

He then moved 'In for the kill'

7013783185_af7bb62780_b.jpg

Job done , I'm off down the pub !

7013783525_dd7bced2d8_b.jpg

To brag about my conquest with the rest of the unlucky suiters

7013783739_db4be46551_b.jpg

He never writes, phones, or even acknowlages me in the street , I feel violated !!

6863255494_5464003f8c_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

yes barn owls i think arethe best looking of the owl familyfollowes ithink by snow owls. is that an eagle owl in the last photo. little browor the great owl

Looks like a Long Eared Owl to me Babs.

Just been for a drive and have come back (Hopefully) with a few good shots of three Buzzards that were circling about a mile from here. I'll post a couple of them when I've had a look through them.

I've just had a quick look at the Uni Cam just as the female flew off of the nest . There's 4 eggs in there now , and do you know they look awfully like hens eggs (I never realised they were that colour , I always thought they were a bluey colour !) ...........DOH!!

\snip\ What kind of weather do you experience up there Compo?

Cold, wet and windy as a rule. We still have four seasons: Winter can be very cold, -20°C not uncommon, -25 on a few occasions throughout a normal winter. Can snow heavily at times and there is only one proper "A" road out of the county (Nearest motorway over 200 miles away). So we can be cut off for a number of days at times. Spring usually lasts well into June and is followed by a short summer. Summer temperature reaches 25°C on one or two days a year but is more often around 17 - 19°C; a cool summer day in the rain is usually about 12 -14°C.

Autumn is very short; leaves often blow away in the equinox storms before they have a chance to turn colour and fall naturally. The main stormy season is September to February, when winds often reach 100MPH but more usually 70/80MPH. The biggest wind I have encountered here is 129MPH but Shetland reached 153MPH in the winter of 1992/3

Christmas is white on about one in three years but the past three winters have given us two out of three snowy Christmases.

The growing season is about four weeks shorter than Nottingham and new growth on trees is often cut back by the salty but freezing winds. One problem is "The Haar" This is a sea fog that rolls into the interior from the sea after a couple of warm days. The warm air flows over the cold sea and condenses into a thick fog that drifts back over the land in the evening. From our house we can see it approaching from Wick over the marshes as a thick grey bank rolling towards us at several miles per hour. we see it coming from the coast 7 miles away and it arrives within the hour. - it's quite eerie at times. 'Old Ace' will have the same Haar in Shetland.

Today was the warmest March day that I can recall: 19°C but with a chilly wind blowing off the North Sea....I made 5 gallons of beer today

thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Ok as promised a couple of the Buzzards

7014736795_6a09cc090c_b.jpg

6868626914_d4e5b9e456_b.jpg

6868623974_e1e2357d1e_b.jpg

6868622156_e17d8fbe87_b.jpg

and a very nervous looking Rook , watching them intently from a bit of shelter.

7014727761_e3f0cf46b8_b.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Hummingbirds have showed in the back garden this week will get some pics when i can find time

Very sad news there Red, but the old adage "Survival of the fitist" seems to be apt . They did ok last year with at least three chicks fledging so they're still above average

• 10 months later...