A train is the whole thing, ie the motive power bit and all the rolling stock to go with it,

the bit at the front (and even the rear theses day's) is called the Loco or Locomotive.

just thought I would throw that one in for the PC brigade

Rog

On a lighter note, another bit of info for those who know nowt about "trains".... ;)

The Guard is a man

Who sits in a van

And rides at the end of the train.

The Driver (up front)

Thinks the Guard is a ****

And the Guard thinks the Driver's the same.

Boom Boom!

Re The Flying Scotsman, didn't Pete Waterman buy her and re paint her in some wrong colours , causing the self richeous brigade to go wappy??

It's a classic way of irritating the "rivet counters", and not just with locomotives.

I subscribe to a vintage commercial magazine, and also post on a website for classic Harley-Davidsons. Both media are inevitably full of people whinging because some restoration, or part thereof, is not "correct"; if you want to see REAL nit-picking the best, or worst example according to your views, is the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. Their bikes are judged on a "100 point" system, whereby you start with 100 and get a quarter, half or full point deducted for every bit which is not, according to the manufacturer's original specification.

Needless to say it can get very bloody at times.

As to livery, to use a classic Nottingham expression, I don't really care if they're "ginger-pink with spots" but I do like to see them looking like they've been used. One of the most depressing places I've ever visited was a Harley-Davidson museum in Niagara Falls, full of superb bikes which obviously hadn't been ridden for many years. Not impossible customs, these were just nice examples of not particularly rare old Harleys, but it was like being in a morgue. To a certain extent, the NRM at York has the same effect on me.

Currently doing a refurb on my 1963 GMC pick-up truck; I've simply had the bad metal cut out, and replaced by good stuff which has then been painted flat blue to blend in with the old paintwork. Concours restorations are anathema to me, they build out all the years of acquired character.

Very true Scriv, feel same way re the NRM, and as for bikes in 1970's I rebuilt an old sprung hub speedtwin to "my idea" which didn't go down well with some (they never made such in purple) lol, Years later I did another a T110 and short of bits went to The Triumph Owners Club at some back street pub in Radford, might have been Nottingham Arms? There were some nice bikes there but what a boring lot, pointing out things like "they didn't have ball end levers on that year" and wrong screws on the tank "toast rack" 2 even turned up with bikes on trailers, I thought maybe on way to some show but seems that was what they did every meeting! Best laugh though was when someone announced a run to Matlock the next sunday, looks of shock and horror! till he added "so and so will be following in the transit pick up!" winkers! sorry if too off topic SWScan00013.jpg

To bring this topic back towards "Tornado", I can't help but wonder whether the enthusiasts who are quite rightly delighted at the appearance of the loco in apple green with BR insignia (being a new build of course then strictly speaking it never ran under those colours when BR was extant) are the same ones who complain about the correctness of the Royal Scot's handsome plumage! ;)

What colour would you suggest for Tornado, Grand Central, GNER, Virgin, it would probably look interesting, I must admit. A1's did run in those apple green colours at first. When BR was first formed, the title British Railways was simply slapped on the tenders, whatever colours they were, they couldn't paint them all overnight, some SR Pacifics were running about with BR on the tenders and yet still retained the Southern 21C number designation. Then the experimental blue livery was tried out, which is going to be Tornado's next colour scheme, then BR Brunswick Green.

When I can find my old 1948 combined volume I'll illustrate some odd combinations.

I was only pulling yer leg mate, Tornado'll look good in any colour but I always liked that Royal Blue which adorns the model of "Claud Hamilton", such a pity that beautiful locomotive was never preserved.

Think it's got to be blue or green really; we've all seen the horrendous modern colour schemes plastered over 37's and the like by the new companies, somehow (with the honourable exception of E.W.S.) they just don't look right do they?

• 1 year later...